Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

we have 3 lovely british shorthair, but one of them has this layered and fuzzy coat - see picture below.

I try to brush her regularly, but she is the only cat of the 3 that doesn’t like brushing. And it doesn’t seem to work. I’ve noticed that she also cleans her coat much less frequently than the other 2 cats. this probably also explains why her coat feels greasier. The other cats have a much softer, smoother coat.

anyone knows what is causing this, and also how to make her coat healthy again?

thank you

Ps: she eats, cuddles, plays, no other issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Yes, her coat's greasy because she doesn't groom it herself, and doesn't like it being brushed. Giving her a bath with or baby shampoo will get rid of the greasiness, but she may not like it if she isn't used to having a bath. An alternative is a hot wrung-out washcloth and scrubbed through the coat in all directions. Then towel-dry her, or let her sit in the sun, and when she's dry comb it out. This should get rid of some of the greasiness, but to keep her looking good, you may have to do it weekly. Give her special treats at the end of her cleaning, and hopefully this will make her look forward to having it done. Would like to see an updated pic of her. This breed has such a beautiful plushy coat!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your kind reply and tips! I'll definitely try this, and will keep you posted. Have a nice day, and stay safe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oooh pretty kitties!

I am not an expert, so ... fwiw. I have a feral and after she started to relate to me, at first, she played all kinds of push/pull games. In time, she let me brush her. At first she wasn't clear on the concept. I bought a set of combs, including a flea comb. And a small brush. She eventually realized that brushes and combs meant a) getting pets and scratches and b) time together.

So... just ideas, I am not an expert. But, maybe, try some different types of brushes and combs. Different speeds and pressures. Play with them even. Use them to pet her. Who knows, maybe she'll change her mind. My feral has done a 180 on many things and can be a pest now about getting her daily brushing and combing! So, cats can change their minds. My feral got "civilized" at ten years old (approx.) and went from no human contact to sweet as candy, and even a little upset if I don't give her some "quality time" every day. It's been about ten months now. (We moved into the house where the ferals lived, her siblings died, i think of asthma.)

It is bizarre but my remaining feral acts like a show cat now. She warmed up to people. She poses and prances and won't stop until I do, she craves the brushing. Just to say, maybe, don't give up perhaps just yet.

I also wonder maybe these kitties were taken from their mom at a young age? Could that have been a factor? My cat was abandoned at about six weeks, (I was told by a neighbor), and it seems she regresses to "kitten" sometimes to reclaim that lost part of her kittenhood. I think I am the first to really give her love.

Maybe she needs her "mom"? in a way that the others figured out on their own?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts