Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Wicket has been extra sucky this morning (probably because we locked them out of the bedroom last night for being jerks) and my hubby was giving him his morning pats and snuggles (he loves it when you pat his back end really firmly, puts his tail up and starts to purr like nuts)--as hubby was doing all the things he loves, he started walking around the room purring, batting at things that make noise (like the doorstopper!) and as he walked by a couple of boxes we have stacked in the corner he suddenly stopped, yawned, then ripped a huge piece off the box in one smooth move and ATE IT. Like fast, before we could get to him. WTH?

I'm pretty sure he ate it on purpose, just from the look on his face, but I cannot figure out why! He's never eaten random stuff before, the only thing he so much as licks is food cans if we leave them up on the counter. So weird!

Anyway, now I'm worried that it'll hurt him, even though it's just cardboard.....anyone else have cats that eat weird stuff?

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I think it's related to eating other stuff, like plastic, rubber bands, house plants or grass as "roughage". It likely won't hurt him, and will just pass through. Often times it may be vomited up. But if "Wicket" in next few days, loses appetite, stops eating, sits hunched, and looking miserable, meows in pain and is not pooping, that can signal an intestinal blockage, and then it is a vet emergency.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping since it was plain cardboard it'll soften enough in the digestive tract to pass--grass is the only other thing I've seen him eat, it was just so weird and out of character, like he just ripped it off and kept walking, munching on it at the same time!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My cat Jake has done this ever since we got him 18 months ago, but he also goes mad for paper and eats fluff too.
Strange

·
Registered
60 Posts
i hope he is ok! my 3 cats will completely shred almost anything that is cardboard. they once tore all of the toilet paper and paper towels off the rolls, just to get to the cardboard and shred it. i have moved several times... the boxes the cats were able to get to, holes all over! they have been to the vets numerous times and nothing bad ever happened. the only cardboard thing they do not tear apart is their cat scratcher. they sleep on it!

i hope Wicket doesn't have tummy problems from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts