Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do cats love to sit on things like newspaper, bags and cardboard? I dont know how they find it comfortable laying on these things. :? :lol:

·
Registered
305 Posts
My guess is that they are all products derived from wood. Wood is a terrific insulator..............and cats like being warm. I know when I have to change the oil in the winter (or when the ground is cold or wet) I will lay a sheet of cardboard down on the concrete and it is an unbelievable help! And it does keep me from freezing my a$$ off.

Any other ideas?

Bryon

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've always thought it neat how they lay on things that they do. Mine will lay on anything, also seen them where there is a huge area on something to lay on and they pick the very edge. My Mom has a cat that does that and rolls off the refrigerator all the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not only do they like to lay on cardboard, newspaper and bags, but also nice, freshly cleaned laundry. And they always seem to choose the dark clothes. :D They also enjoy getting in the way of things you are doing. Like reading a book or newspaper, they will either lay on it or go in front of it so you are looking at them and not what you were reading before being interupted. LOL Another favorite of mine is when you are wrapping gifts and they come and lay on the wraping paper. It seems to me that they are telling us to pay attention to them when they do this.......... :?: hmmmm......... What do you think? :)

pennyLynn :wink:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
WOW! Someone else has the same questions I do about my guys! Herbie lays on newspapers all the time. We don't necessarily need to be reading one either. He'll find a folded newspaper and just plop down on it.

Another thing Herbie does is jumps in the dryer as soon as I open the door, needing to gather a warm load of clothes. I'm sure it's the warmth that he loves. I was having trouble getting him out of the dryer one day (he plays dead and is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to pick up!) so I decided to try to put a scare into him and make him think I was going to leave him in there. I shut the door on him, thinking he would freak and start scratching at the door to get out. NOPE! I let him stay in there about a minute and when I opened the door back up he was in the exact same position as when I shut the door. Didn't even phase him. :roll:

Because of this little episode I make sure there are no cats in the wash machine or the dryer before any liquids get poored in and any doors get shut and machines turned on! :wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
Dittoes, on our cats laying on those things that occupy our time, like reading books and etc. The other day I was using my typewriter, and had to spray water on them to keep them away- at least until I was done. The next day I found that one of them had peed in the typewriter (probably Foxy). I had to place it in the shower and wash it out. :lol: I agree that cats will lay on anything that makes them feel warm.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Sugar loves to lie on paper, especially when I'm doing homework....its just too cute but very unproductive for me to just look at her on my papers! :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
mine like to get tangles up in the plastic bags from the local grocery store... i think they just like the crinkling noise or sometheng :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
Because, because because.

There was one cat I adopted years backed called Jacque, he used to be owned by a single young college girl. And we never were able to bond much, he had a hard time adjusting to the new home with so many other people and animals.

At any rate, he would however love to sit on my books as soon as I brought them all out to study (I was in college at the time).

So he'd chill out with me and my books each evening. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
All five of my cats lay on paper. One of my cat,s Maggie, gets under the warm clothing that I take out of the dryer. She looks so happy that I just let her stay while I fold the clothes. I also have cats that jump into the dryer. A bigger problem for me is that I have one cat, Jake, who loves to hide in the washer. I always look befor doing laundry. :wink:

·
Registered
46 Posts
My two cats also behave that way.
What I found very funny is that they always lay down in a way which stops you reading, working or whatever. :D

I wonder each time how they discover the passage or article one is reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts