Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my maine coon Truman for about a year now, he was about 2 1/2 when I adopted him. He was very shy when we got him but he seemed to be coming around nicley. At this point it almost seems like he regressed. It's almost like he forgets who I am and runs away. Sometimes while petting him he'll just freak out and run away. :(

·
Registered
185 Posts
Have you done anything different lately such as changed your hair style, got new glasses, wear a different cologne? Any traumatic events happen in the house recently? Any construction in or around the house? Any new pets? As you can probably tell from my list, cats are very sensitive creatures. :lol:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Are you sure he is running away scared and not running away to show you something or to play? My maine coon Dylan does this sort of thing a lot...

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Same here. At first I thought Scully was darting from me, but then I realized she wanted me to follow, so now we'll both run around the house, her tearing over the furniture, me hunched over, waving my arms, saying "I'm gonna get you." If someone saw that, they'd have me committed. :roll:

·
Registered
138 Posts
spacemonkey said:
Same here. At first I thought Scully was darting from me, but then I realized she wanted me to follow, so now we'll both run around the house, her tearing over the furniture, me hunched over, waving my arms, saying "I'm gonna get you." If someone saw that, they'd have me committed. :roll:
OMG that was tooo funny... I'm cracking up over here with the mental pictures :lol: :lol:

sprat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think he's wanting to play, I'll be petting him, then he'll look at me and flinch away like I was going to hit him. I don't know if there was ahistory of abuse with prior owners. We got him from a foster network and the lady said there was no previous abuse. Maybe he's weird :( , it's like you can't approach him, he has to come to me. I'm really confused though, at night he will come into my room and sleep on my bed. When he does this he's really happy and purring, and head-butting me! The next morning I'll see him and he runs like **** from me.... :|

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Some cats are just that way. Everything has to be on THEIR terms. You can't pick him up and put him in your lap, but two minutes later he might turn around and put himself there. Seems strange, but they somehow feel more comfortable if they are making the advances. :?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sunds like wat Dylan does but it isn't fear, he is playing and having a "mad five minutes". Dylan will be laying there and if you go near him or pet him he jumps like he's been startled and is on alert and then runs looney for a bit.... But after he comes right back and is all cuddles again

·
Registered
185 Posts
sassage said:
I don't think he's wanting to play, I'll be petting him, then he'll look at me and flinch away like I was going to hit him. I don't know if there was ahistory of abuse with prior owners. We got him from a foster network and the lady said there was no previous abuse. Maybe he's weird :( , it's like you can't approach him, he has to come to me. I'm really confused though, at night he will come into my room and sleep on my bed. When he does this he's really happy and purring, and head-butting me! The next morning I'll see him and he runs like **** from me.... :|
You didn't answer any of my above questions? Some cats ARE like that and you just have to except them as they are. However, if he was previously friendly and now is afraid of your hands, there may of been something that caused this. Does he have a very treat or catnip toy that you can offer out of your hand to reassociate you with good things?

·
Registered
697 Posts
Odd question but have you changed your soap/hand wash? At one point my cat fraked a little when I petted him and after a full week of being very upset at this I discovered he did it when I cleaned his litter box becasue I was using a ornangy disinfectant hand wash after it. I change to a different one and no bother at all.

·
Registered
865 Posts
"Feed Me" on the second page (the last one) sounds exactly like Moby. About 95% of the time he meows like that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts