Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A wild animal refuge in Ohio news story
Animals Loose in Ohio: Town Under Lockdown - Yahoo!
The reaction of the police to go in with assault weapons as the first response is disturbing since they did have the options of noise & non-lethal means available. FYI Columbus Zoo has sent a group in to capture loose animals. (Columbus is an hour away from Zanesville).
Additional news from last year about another wild animal refuge in Ohio - one of those things that make a person go Hmmmm. But of course not enough facts to make an accurate connection.
Exotic animals escape Ohio farm; owner found dead - US news

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The decision was made to kill most of the escaped animals
Here is the latest count:
18 Bengal tigers Dead
9 male lions Dead
8 female lions Dead
6 black bears Dead
3 mountain lions Dead
2 grizzly bears Dead
1 baboon Dead
1 wolf Dead
1 grizzly bear Recaptured
3 leopards Recaptured
2 monkeys Recaptured
1 macaque monkey Missing
1 gray wolf Missing
(Reporting by Andrew Stern;yahoonews)

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's sad, but was necessary. These are wild animals that have lived in captivity which increases the likelihood they'll approach people because they're used to us providing the food. Due to the time of the escape, tranquilization was too risky. Once day broke, they moved from shoot on sight to recapture. There are a lot of people blaming the police, but I blame the owner who before ending his life RELEASED those animals. The other problem is these animals were extremely aggressive due to abuse and neglect. The caretaker claims feeding day was Monday, but there is no mention of the amount or the appropriateness of feed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This is such a horrible incident.

Shame on their "owner" who from what I understand was basically a hoarder of exotic animals. If he gave a darn about them at all, he would not have let them loose to fend for themselves. What a selfish, cowardly act that ended in despair for these animals.

I do not blame the officials at all for having to euth them. Such a tragic situation and unfortunately the animals ended up exploited at the mercy of another careless owner which happens all too often in our society. :cry:

Wish the big cats had gotten to him before he had a chance to end his life with his own hands.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Yes, it is unfortunate. But Even Jack Hannah agreed that human safety must come first.

Hanna said tranquilizing wild animals is not as easy as many people believe.
“I’ve been out all over the world tranquilizing animals,” he said. “Can you imagine trying to tranquilize an animal in the dark. Fine, we have a spotlight. We hit it. You don’t know exactly: Did you hit a muscle? Did you hit a bone? If you hit the bone, the plunger might not work and put the medicine in. So what do we do? Then we send a veterinarian or the sheriff up there to see if the animal is down, right? What’s gonna happen if the animal is just sitting there not even asleep? You’re dead.”

What happens when the first human casualty occurs?

Sorry, this had to be done this way. No good options

·
Registered
44 Posts
Very sad, no win situation for everyone. Too bad no one saw the signs of the owners depression before, may have prevented many deaths(animal and human).

·
Registered
410 Posts
What a waste. Sad for the terrified townspeople and just as sad for the terrified animals who didn't have any options because of a stupid human. Yech.

·
Registered
261 Posts
THIS is what bothers me:
A vet shot a tiger with a tranquilizer from 15 yards away and Lutz said it "just went crazy," and started to run, so officers were forced to shoot it with lethal ammunition.

Umm... Yeah? OF COURSE they are going to go crazy. Have none of those people watched a nature documentary in their LIVES? Let alone the 'expert'. They ALWAYS run off, the darts take like 30 mins to work. >.>

The other thing that makes me REALLY MAD:
"This is a bad situation," the sheriff said. "It's been a situation for a long time."
"It's always been a fear of mine knowing (the preserve's owner) had all those animals," she said. "I have kids. I've heard a male lion roar all night." John Ellenberger, another neighbor, speculated that Thompson freed the animals to get back at neighbors and police.
"Nobody much cared for him," Ellenberger said.

No wonder the dude did this. His actions SCREAMED 'help me' and all anybody did was 'oh, we don't much care for him'

Just a baad situation all around. :cry:

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
No wonder the dude did this. His actions SCREAMED 'help me' and all anybody did was 'oh, we don't much care for him'
There is NO EXCUSE in the world for him letting his animals go, knowing they could kill innocent children and others. And that they would probably be put down.

No excuse.

This man broke so many laws and was cited so many times, including animal cruelty counts. I blame Ohio and their lax laws on exotic animals, also. This man had 18 gorgeous rare, endangered bengal tigers. The Ohio zoo has three.

Polly Thompson reluctantly testified against her brother about five years ago when he was charged with starving bison and cattle kept at their parents' farm near Zanesville.

"Anybody that has animals should take care of them," she said in an interview at her home on the outskirts of Zanesville.
Animal pens were scattered on the patio and driveway of the Thompsons' home on the property, and there were several others inside the garage and basement. They had a black leopard in the basement and two tigers and two lion cubs in the garage.

On a patio next to the Thompsons' pool, two lion cubs and one black bear cub were in the same pen.

A veterinarian from Columbus Zoo saw that a tiger was missing its tail and thought it had been ripped or bitten off by another animal in an adjoining cage. Two tigers were in a cage filled with standing water, rotting carcasses and lots of bones.

The zoo officials also expressed concerns about malnutrition and the sizes of the pens.

Thompson also kept a monkey in a cage too small for it to stand up in, kept a wolf in an old car and had a zebra in a horse trailer, said a Muskingum County resident familiar with Thompson who saw the conditions and spoke with the AP on condition of anonymity for fear of repercussions over the comments.
Because of the lack of any serious legal control, there was little authorities could do.

A county prosecutor then told detectives there was little else they could do because they had no authority to regulate anyone who keeps wild or exotic animals.
It's not like this was a loving, caring person who became overwhelmed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
No excuse what so ever. The thing bothering me about the police is not the shooting, but the fact that apparently the paperwork was not in order for numerous animals. So someone please explain to me why oh why on the multiple occasions the police were out there regarding the animals no one checked the permits against the animals present?

·
Registered
261 Posts
There is NO EXCUSE in the world for him letting his animals go, knowing they could kill innocent children and others. And that they would probably be put down.

No excuse.
You misunderstand. I am not excusing his actions, I merely misworded what the poster directly above me stated. Based on his actions, and lack of care for the animals, something should have been done long ago. For him(I simply REFUSE to think that this was a mentally and emotionally sound person. For pete's sake he killed himself after releasing the animals. In his mind he was probably 'doing good', 'returning them to the wild'.), The animals, AND the community.

What I was attempting to say was that these were major red flags that nobody did anything about other than decide they didn't like the guy. This whole situation could and should have been stopped dead in it's tracks by someone taking the darned animals away from him! Even if his paperwork WAS in order(which it wasn't), the conditions were UNACCEPTABLE. If it had been a 'domestic' animal such as a dog or cat where only a license is required(and in most cases never obtained) They would have seized the animals, end of story. WHY didn't they take these animals who require EVEN MORE care than the ones they do save? And these are rare, beautiful, valuable, and in some cases, ENDANGERED animals that almost any zoo would thank their lucky stars to have a chance at rescuing.

Just makes me so sad and angry.

·
Super Moderator
26,801 Posts
The problem is, in most cases, he wasn't breaking specific laws or regulations. Because there aren't any. It's disgusting. You have to do more paperwork to own a dog in Ohio than a Bengal tiger.

·
Registered
237 Posts
They weren't seized because there are not stringent enough laws regarding the ownership of exotics. The one law Ohio did have on the books lapsed. Had it not lapsed the animals would have been seized back in May and none of this would have happened. What this proves, and I'm sorry if anyone takes offense, is that we need legislation restricting and regulating the ownership of these animals. They are not pets. They are wild animals, and I've sick of hearing owners say but I am responsible and I do know what I'm doing and then having the animals pay the price when surprise your "pet" tiger is a wild animal after all.

·
Registered
261 Posts
They weren't seized because there are not stringent enough laws regarding the ownership of exotics. The one law Ohio did have on the books lapsed. Had it not lapsed the animals would have been seized back in May and none of this would have happened. What this proves, and I'm sorry if anyone takes offense, is that we need legislation restricting and regulating the ownership of these animals. They are not pets. They are wild animals, and I've sick of hearing owners say but I am responsible and I do know what I'm doing and then having the animals pay the price when surprise your "pet" tiger is a wild animal after all.
The problem with this is it opens the door of 'what constitutes a wild animal/exotic'. Are my parrots exotic enough that I cannot keep them? What about the red-tailed hawk the falconer uses the next town over? My bearded dragons? What about the cute baby American Alligators for sale in the pet shop? The Reticulated and Burmese pythons for sale in reptile shops? Sure, SOME people know what they are doing with them, but the average joe on the street does not. I don't want to lose my family members because some dumba** bought an animal sold and marketed as a 'pet'. What we need is stricter regulations on buying/selling/breeding/transporting/keeping. NOT flat out banning. A flat out ban would mean I would be grandfathered in with my three parrots, two bearded dragons, and the other 'exotics' I keep as pets(I am not dumb and have a tiger or something). If I tried to take any of my babies to my vet that is out of state, they would be confiscated and destroyed. If by some weird twist of fate my lovebird laid an egg that was fertile(I have only one lovebird), ALL lovebirds I had would be confiscated and destroyed. If I moved out of state, guess what? YUP destroyed. This is not an exaggeration, this was in a bill that almost passed a little while ago.

Where is the line? :? WHY can't people have half a brain?? If the shops had half a heart, they would not try to sell these dangerous animals to people who walk in off the street. In ONE year, a Burmese python can grow 10', and average idiots are going to powerfeed and get it as big as they can. In less than a year, that cute little pet snake could kill an adult. And Alligators? COME ON. WHAT PART OF THAT makes you think to yourself it would make a good pet??? SERIOUSLY.

/Sigh. I hope we can find something that will work without systematically executing every single bloodthirsty 'exotic wild parakeet' in captivity.

Please do not be upset, I just needed to rant.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm not, but I hold my position. Where I live I can go to the local flea market and under the watchful of the police meaning fully legal buy a reticulated python for $100 or a lemur for $250. What I'd like to see is a ban on further importation and breeding of exotics, and serious regulation of existing exotics. I have nephews and now a niece I'm very involved with when I let them go out to play I want to know that the neighbor has an alligator/big cat/etc. and I want to know how it's being kept. Not only that but I don't want the neighbor's word for it, I want papers from a certified professional that their enclosure is secure and appropriate. I also want to know what the plan is if there ever was for any reason an escape. There are enough irresponsible owners out there that if I had my way would have their animals confiscated that truly responsible owners would have enough animals to adopt from for decades without need for capturing and importing more wild animals or captive breeding animals that then find themselves in a hopeless situation because they will never realistically be suitable for release. As to birds, I include them. Not because they are going to kill anyone, but because if I see one more bird featherless because some 18 year old kid walked into a petstore with some money burning a hole in his pocket and stressed and neglected the poor bird into plucking - I'm going to scream. I don't want a ban on the birds, but I sure do want them included in regulations. I want to see the day where people have to show that they understand that they just made a 15-80 year commitment and just how tedious that commitment is, but then again - I'd like to see that for most animals. Like the kittens that were dumped on me at the grand old age of four weeks, more than likely for no other reason than they're female and around here no one wants a female cat because apparently it's too much to ask that they spay their cat and they don't want 100 cats. Honestly, I prefer males - but for tempermant reasons. Sorry I'll end my rant now got a little off topic.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What about dogs? My little cousin almost died because some highly acclaimed husky breeder in Rhode Island 'accidentally' let two of his dogs run. They came to my Aunt's farm and attacked and killed some of her sheep(Thankfully the 16 year old pet sheep, "Norman" survived, though barely. He had his face torn off and was in danger of drowning on his own blood) They attacked sweet little Anna and almost killed her. The disturbing parts? This is not the first time it had happened. One of the two that attacked the farm attacked a farm down the road with another doggie companion. They killed 6 goats and several chickens and other livestock about a week before the incident.

And despite little Anna's near death experience, these dogs are allowed to keep living, IN THE SAME GUY'S CARE. They just have to be castrated and housed in a cube of chain link fencing. They are not allowed out of the enclosure unless on lead, not allowed off property except to an existing vet visit. FOR CRAPS SAKE THEY ALMOST KILLED A YOUNG CHILD.

Gurrrarrrh. I don't know where I stand on this issue. I don't want my three birds, four rats, two bearded dragons and corn snake to be deemed dangerous and destroyed, nor do I want the B/F's Emperor Scorpion or Axolotl, but people like that simply should not be allowed to own animals. OF ANY KIND. Even 'domestic' animals are still ANIMALS. Maybe an IQ/license test before owning ANY animal? But then you get into black market trades where things become MORE dangerous.

I do like your idea of a registry though. You should be able to go online and see if your neighbors own a dangerous dog or a big cat or an alligator or large snake or something dangerous. /shrug.

I am going to go to sleep before I take this thread further off topic and get myself worked up too much.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The problem is, in most cases, he wasn't breaking specific laws or regulations. Because there aren't any. It's disgusting. You have to do more paperwork to own a dog in Ohio than a Bengal tiger.
Pit bulls are banned in Ohio but you can own a tiger. That's not okay.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts