Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: I adopted a beautiful 6 yr. old blue point hymalayan a couple of weeks ago and the cat is bezerk! When I first got her she was hesitant to be handled and nipped me. I thought it was due to being a stranger. Come to find out that the cat has not been handled in over a year and has lost its social skills? The cat continued thru the weekend to hiss, bite and attack me. This cat CHARGED ME!

I took the cat to the vet on Monday for a full exam and all its shots caught up to date. Big $200 bill! There are no problems and the cat once in the office allowed me to hold her and pet her. I thought that perhaps the worst was over.

The next day I bring her home and she is right back to attacking me. I try to get close but she is having none of it. I bought leather gloves and she bites right through them!

I have tried to coax her with treats, special food, soothing words, etc. but nothing works. she continues to hide and attack. She does not seem to like any kind of special food or treats so this makes it impossible to give her "kitty valium" or prozac (as the doctor suggested)

What is left to do? Put her to sleep? I need some advice please

Thanks

de
[email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd give her a bit more time before deciding to put her to sleep. She might just need a bit more time to get used to people. Maybe it would help to give her a bit of space for a while until she's completely used to being in a new place with new people, with toys to play with so she can take out her agression on something else. Then slowly try petting her, after she's tired out from playing and has eaten and is generally content. This seems to me like it might help, although I"m no expert. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi De,

I think first the best thing you could do is find a behavior consultant in your area to help you. This may be beyond just your reach, behaviorally.
However, I agree; euthanasia is a premature decision. I think a truce is more in order. we need to see if the cat will come around at all on her timetable, not anyone else's. We have to imagine that if she hadn't been handled in a year, her perception of people can't be too rosy. She has to learn to trust you, and that may be just by letting her come to you. Two weeks is really a drop in the bucket, behaviorally, for a scarred being. If, after a month or two of letting her dictate the pace more or less, and nothing changes, then some re-evalutaion would have to take place.
Of course, I'm concerned hearing that she charged you. I wouldn't want your health to be in any way endangered while we're waiting out her adjustment. But I'd want to hear the context around that charge as well.
Talking to her is a great thing you're doing, play, as someone mentioned, would be a fantastic expulsion of negative energy into a positive place, but that all may happen very slowly. Have interactive toys on hand to keep your hands safe. Toys like "Da Bird," "Cat Dancer," "Cat Charmer," or a laser pen, which will distract her from any negative intentions onto an "alternate victim" and give you a chance to praise her.
Again, I think getting a professional involved before making a life-or-death decision will ultimately be easiest on both of you.

Best to you!
Jackson

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far it seems to be a stand off. She hides in the spare bedroom under the bed, behind a box. She is not interested in the treats that I give her.

As for charging me, the only time she does is when we are in the same room. She stays out of my room as I sleep so I feel somewhat safe.

An earlier post mentioned Feliway. You are darn tootin' its pricey. $30 for the room diffuser. It is supposed to last for 4 weeks. I am going to get it today. The doc mentioned Prozac mixed in her food so I will be also going with that as well.

Thanks for the input from you all. It helps.
Animal behaviorist? I am unemployed at the time so money is tight. And the doctor doesn't know where else to find one except for Chapel Hill, NC (2 hr. drive) at the Vet. University.

But I will keep it in mind. I search the internet all the time trying to find experience. Feliway has been mentioned the most along with Prozac.

Thanks
De

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Good Luck! I hope you don't have to put your cat down over this, I don't know if I could ever do that...... <<))

1 - 6 of 6 Posts