Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to say how strange it is to be trying to run errands, do normal stuff, with a big pillar of black smoke above town, orange sunlight and ash coming down! Last summer (before kitty) there was a wildfire in the back mountains of our town that burned for a month and came a few miles from us behind the foothills. Very oppressive and weird, it was all everyone talked about. The ash blew around for months, gave everyone sinus infections and worse than usual allergies, colds etc.

Now we've got this Gap fire (and the one in Big Sur, and all the others over the state!). Our son is supposed to go to a Boy Scout camp next week - on the opposite side of the mountain, but still only about six miles from the fire, and if the wind changes ...:(. And later, he's supposed to go up into the Sierras for another camp... I can't help but worry! What about lightning, more fires, him miles away, all of our water and resource$ being used up while the state is going broke, not to mention people's homes and lives, and livelihoods... (and then, of course, the cost of gas and high unemployment here, and global warming and politics and war...)

Boo hoo. The worst is there's nothing I can do. :(

Fran

·
Super Moderator
26,395 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, Fran. After the fires last October, I still tense up when I hear fire engines. I can't believe the Boy Scout camp hasn't been cancelled or relocated, especially after the tragic hurricane deaths recently. I don't think I'd let him go, even though I'm sure his heart is set on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts