Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7-8 month old female, I got her about 2-3 months ago. I haven't gotten her spayed yet, I ran into a money issue but I am getting it done ASAP.

I've had her all this time and she isn't any less skittish then when I got her. In fact I think now she is even more skittish.

When I first got her, she would at least go on my lap and stuff and now she doesn't do it and freaks out if someone picks her up. I think the vet may have traumatized her. She was on my lap and the vet attempted to give her oral liquid and she jumped off me and gave me a scar on my arm. I think that was the last time she ever went on my lap.

She isn't mean though, she's never hissed at me or intentionally hurt me or anything, she is sweet, and she gets along very well with my other cat.

Is not spaying her holding her back from becoming a house cat? Is that why she is still skittish and kind of "wild"?

I AM getting her fixed ASAP, I am just curious.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Not getting her spayed is dangerous. When she goes into heat she will take every opportunity to sneak out (trust me she WILL find a way!) to mate. Next thing you know you have kittens and money won't be any easier to come by after feeding a litter or caring for them. Spaying will calm her down (but she IS still a kitten), and make her a more enjoyable pet. There is not much worse than laying in bed listening to a female cat yowl for love!!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
She's gone into heat a couple times so far. Mostly all she does is stick her butt up in the air and roll on the floor. Nothing like the nightmares I hear from other people here, lol. She's also never tried to run out the door. Anyways despite all that I am definitely getting her fixed, I would've liked to as soon as I got her but I had other things to deal with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My cat seems pretty much the same after spaying her. I felt so bad about it even though it needed to be done and stayed in bed with her for an entire day. She fell asleep in my arms before the surgery when she was given the injection.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She's getting spayed this Friday, I just set up the appointment.

Any pointers I need to know? Like things the vet might forget to tell me? I know it's much more invasive than a neuter :(

Also, will my male cat treat her any different or vice versa? I assume she will smell different without the hormones.

Also how soon after surgery can my male cat see her?

·
Banned
302 Posts
I have a female cat and before I was able to get her fixed, the yowling butt in the air and rolling was enough to drive me crazy. Not all cats try to get outside to mate. My cat didn't try to get out at all. My cat was skittish before she was spayed and is afterwards. Her skittish behavior probably won't change but the yowling with the butt in the air and rolling will stop. I think Skittles stopped immediately after she was spayed. Oh something to watch, your cat may act like its drunk, give this a day or so, like a few days, before rushing to the vet. It is from the anaesthesia that they give to put them under. It will wear off. As for your male cat, I would keep him away from your female until she is healed from the surgery, ask the vet how long it takes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts