Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Kittens eyes usually start turning at a much younger age...around 8-12 weeks, maybe a little later. If he's 5 months and showing no signs of them changing they will probably remain blue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick reply. It would be neat if they stayed blue but I will keep watching for them to start changing. Thanks again :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Hi Kopec!
I think you're going to have a Beautiful Tuxie...with Very striking, blue eyes!:)
Sharon

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I doubt that they will change at his age now. Wow! very striking and unusual....it would be fun to enter him in a HHP=Household Pet class at a cat show. Your cat does not have to be a purebred to enter this class. I suspect there's a Siamese gene in his background somewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Sorry for going off topic a little bit here, but we have a similar situation at the shelter with a blue-eyed adult. Rusty is red/buff and white, but his eyes are piercingly blue.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Oh Wow Jeff!
Another stunning cat! How long has Rusty been at the shelter?
S.

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
Rusty was surrendered on 9/21/2014, two days after his 7th birthday. So almost one year. He's a very shy boy who hides in a box during the commotion of our hours open to the public.

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Poor boy...I would bet he's actually a Sweetheart...if someone took the time with him, to build some trust...
S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone. We just assumed they would change and so far they haven't. I will take a look at that show class for household pets. Could be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
382 Posts
Gosh, he is gorgeous! The HHP class would be fun, if he has the purrsonality to handle it. How does he do when other people handle him? Has he ever been out, in a crowd?
Go to youtube, bet they have videos of the class! See what it is all about and see if you think he might enjoy it. Many cats appear to so it is possible!
Please let us know how all that goes and anytime you want to share pics of that handsome boy, I think we would all enjoy that!

More of Rusty too!!

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
My first cat, back in the 70s, was a shaded silver tabby who clearly had a Chinchilla Persian in her recent ancestry. Her eyes stayed blue well past the normal age. I can't remember exactly how old she was when I noticed they had turned more green than blue, but it may have been about 6 months. So, sometimes they change slowly. I remember being a little bit disappointed that they hadn't stayed blue.
My second pair of cats, in the mid 90s, were brown tabby kittens who started out with vivid orange eyes that gradually turned greenish yellow at about around 7 or 8 months. Again a little bit disappointed, since I also like orange eyes. Cat eye colour is a bit of a mystery to me.
A black cat with blue eyes is very unusual.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yep, I agree they're blue for life. :)

I've got a three month old kitten I am watching closely to see what shade of green she'll end up. At least, I'm fairly sure they'll be green.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My first cat, back in the 70s, was a shaded silver tabby who clearly had a Chinchilla Persian in her recent ancestry. Her eyes stayed blue well past the normal age. I can't remember exactly how old she was when I noticed they had turned more green than blue, but it may have been about 6 months. So, sometimes they change slowly. I remember being a little bit disappointed that they hadn't stayed blue.
My second pair of cats, in the mid 90s, were brown tabby kittens who started out with vivid orange eyes that gradually turned greenish yellow at about around 7 or 8 months. Again a little bit disappointed, since I also like orange eyes. Cat eye colour is a bit of a mystery to me.
A black cat with blue eyes is very unusual.

I wondered about that -- I have read that some people have had blue eyed older kittens that changed out to soft green as adults. More than likely it seems his eyes may change. A 'tense' waiting game! :)

Well, they sure are pretty for now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts