Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello , I posted a few weeks back re introduction issues. We have had our new rescue kitty Mia for 10 weeks now. I am having problems with our resident neutered male Samson. For most of the day it is all calm, I sometimes have all my 3 cats on the sofa sleeping peacefully. Mia usually sits as far away from Samson as possible but hey they are on the same sofa. But as soon as Mia moves he is watching and then he will follow and sometimes chase. Samson seems to get this crazy look in his eyes and then he chases, yesterday he got hold of Mia and they wrestled on the floor for a bit, Mia screamed but the only little bits of fur on the floor I could see where Samsons. I am leaving all 3 at home alone and when I get home it is calm with no tell tale signs of fur. But I can see that she is very wary of him. Quite a few times I have seen her chase him so I wonder if it is part playing
I am giving them treats together and playing together, we have various feliway diffusers and Samson also has a bell so Mia can hear him coming
I am finding it draining though wondering if he is going to pounce, I feel sorry for Mia when I see her walk around the edges of the room to avoid him or when she hides behind my legs
Does anyone have experience of this and it is just time that will help them? I don't expect they will be best buddies but if he could just leave her alone that would be great
Thank you

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
I wish I could tell you it would get better but I don't know. I too would feel sorry for Mia. Maybe she could be in a safe room while you are gone so that she at least gets a break from having to be wary that Samson is going to come after her? Of course if she stresses out when you put her in a separate room then that won't help.

I think it is a good sign that she also chases him. She may want to play but he may just be a bit too rough. My newest cat is such a mellow guy that my 1 yr. old female has been tending to boss him around. Yesterday when she swiped at him over a toy he swiped right back at her - and she was the one who backed off lol. Sometimes it works out and Mia might get more bold and set some boundaries with Samson, but you just can't be sure.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
You've only had Mia 2 1/2 months, What you're seeing is pretty normal...as long as there isn't any major fur flying, just try and stay calm...a lot of times, it sounds worse than it really is!
Your stress will only add to it, by 'feeding' the vibes that are already there.
Mia and Samson are trying to figure out what 'position' she will hold and how much of his 'guff' she will take, that she is chasing him, is a positive sign!!
Also laying on the same couch is a good sign.
If she was feeling "Traumatized"
She wouldn't even get that close, she would be hiding somewhere.
Be positive, Be Calm, Don't interfere...as tempting as it might be, it can actually delay or cause further problems.
Keep playing with both of them and giving a few treats at the end of the play session.
Some cats just have bumpier introductions than others!
Be Patient and CALM!
They're still in the 'Process' but to me it sounds like it will all work out!! ;-):-D

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I could not agree more with 7cat2dogs! Given that Mia has chased Samson, not to fight but to interact positively, confirms in my mind that it is a form of play and posturing, not fighting. YOU are the biggest source of stress, I'm sad to say and it can certainly be projected to the animals.

I possibly would keep some Feliway plugins around for a few months just to take any edge off behavior like stalking, then start removing them one by one over time and pat my self on the back that a potentially difficult introduction period has ended.

You did good with the above, and my only real advice would be to try and relax. Trust us, you will KNOW when a full fledged confrontation breaks out.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I think it is going great too, and all sounds normal, however, I would think it would be a great idea to put Mia up alone in a room while you are gone. I have been through this with my two boys, who get along great now, and they even sleep in the same room at night together, but at first the little one bugged the heck out of the older male. He would hassle him in the litter box, which led to a few accidents because of that. Even when they were getting along great, I would still put the little one up if I was going to be gone for a few hours. I figured they could both use a break from each other. I did that for a while, give them breaks from each other, and I am really glad I did. They always seemed really happy to see each other after being put up, I would immediately let them out and either feed them or give them some treats, so that it was a happy experience.

I do think it all sounds normal though. I think some feliaway might make everyone feel a little better. I recently bought some calming treats, they are supposed to have something in them to calm, and so far, two of my three cats seem VERY calmed by them and the other one....the one that needs calming, they don't seem to affect her, that I can see anyway. But it couldn't hurt to try. I saw some at Target in the cat aisle, but I ordered mine through Drs Foster and Smith, probably the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts