Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well YoTi is scheduled to get nutered this upcomming week, and im concerened he will lose his spunky additude. Hes so energetic and full of love that i wanted him to slow a bit, cuz he runs around carlessly, but dont want him to be non active or not be as happy.

So my question is

Will my male kitten slow down alot from getting fixed?

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
My kitten was neutered months ago and I sure as heck wish he'd loose some of his darn spunk(read hyperactive SPAZZINESS).

He's driving me *INSANE* with his 'spunk' and loving temperament. :p

MowMow has been neutered for years and he's pretty darn spunky too. He's 7, neutered and still runs laps around the apartment.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Agreed, Cody was neutered at 17 weeks and at 7 month he still gets the kitten crazies. He has actually become more loving but I think it's because he is now better bonded with us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I had my cat hunter neutered, he was just as active after. They recommend you limit activity and jumping until stitches heal. Yeah right, he was still running around jumping up and down on everything. I wouldnt worry.

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's not a complete myth. I had two dogs have an extreme reaction. That said, he needs to be neutered either way. Cats tend to have issues when not speutered. Females either go out and present you with a never ending stream of kittens, or you keep them inside and they go INSANE and drive you nuts in the process not to mention have every Tom cat in the neighborhood trying to get into your house and spraying it. Males either go out and assist in the never ending stream of kittens and fight with each other left and right for the right to be the one to do so, or stay inside and spray and destroy the house in the attempt to get out to the ladies. An unspeutered cat is NOT fun. Just watch him. Make sure his diet is appropriate and he's excercising and hope he's part of the majority that is unaffected.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments, it sounds like most male cats get thru the recovery process pretty quickly and continue on their crazy ways pretty fast. The little guy is just so much of a mood helper as he is so funny with his careless crazy ways and we're happy to hear he should stay that way after being fixed, coolio!!

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
I never noticed that neutering affects their spunkiness. My current boy was neutered at 4 months, and he still has the crazies a few times a day and he's almost 7 yrs. old, and has his spunky attitude still. I do have to monitor his food though as he will pack on the pounds. He's 11.5 lbs. now and solid muscle.

·
Registered
383 Posts
All of my guys are neutered and it hasn't calmed any of them down. The only real change was they don't sing offkey when the feral ladycats go in season. They still race around the house, tear up & down the stairs, attack the bed mice (aka my toes) and knock over the cat tree.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It didn't despunk either of my boys. My 7yr old male cat, neutered at 5.5mos old, still has these moments of hyperactivitiy where he yowls, puts his ears back, looks around wild-eyed and takes off like a crazy beast with his tail cocked to the side. He'll run from room to room for a while until he's worked off the extra energy. And he's incredibly loveable.

Samson, abouit 7-8 months old, was neutered 2 months ago and now that he's better from an illness is quite energetic, playful, and a little crazy (oh, and loveable).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts