Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I'll be a freshman in college this fall, and I'm worried about leaving my cat. I've never been away from home for more than a couple of days. My cat sleeps with me every night, and I'm always the one who feeds and plays with him. When I leave, my mom will take over, but she works Monday-Friday 9-7, and my cat isn't at all as bonded to her as he is to me, so I'm wondering what that change will be like for my cat. Has anyone gone through a similar experience?

I've considered adopting another cat, but he's extremely shy, and I'm not sure how that'll work out. Again, though, he's really affectionate and sweet, and maybe a companion would be good for him. Are some cats better off independent?

Thanks in advance. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
If she is willing, have your Mom feed your cat at least one meal a day and start playing with him and giving him treats. It sounds like your cat is just fine being the only cat in the house. Many cats prefer that. My first cat, Cinderella, loved being the only cat, she did not appreciate the interlopers. It was bad enough when I brought Cleo home, but then the twins? Her face says it all.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I had a cat in college and when I went away for my "first real job" afterward I left my cat with mom and dad as my new living arrangements were unclear.

To be honest, I never got my cat back - my dad fell for him and mom said the first thing in the morning and the last thing at night was dad checking for the cat: is he ok, has he been fed, is he in (or out)... etc. I have pictures of him sleeping in my dad's bed and in my dad's favorite chair... :)

It was ok. Cat was very happy and well loved. He lived with them many many years, and died in his sleep, peacefully, in his favorite sun-spot on the porch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts