• Second degree murder.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the prosecution is doing a summation. Have they proved their case? He is a liar and a cheat, but does that make him a murderer? Personally, I think he probably is guilty, but I don't think the prosecution has enough evidence to link him to the crime. There is no direct evidence and no forensic evidence. I believe there will be a hung jury.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I believe they added 2nd degree murder in the mix as well...

I'm hoping for 1st degree murder - who dyes their hair, has 10 cell phones and prepares to live in the boonies...a guilty man...

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His wife was close to eight months pregnant, and he was having an affair. One of the problems the prosecution has is that Laci's baby was clearly not in the water nearly as long as she was, and seemed to be more developed than expected. If that is true, Scott could not have killed his wife. He was under surveillance.

edit:
Sorry. I didn't see your post, doremi. I was just explaining a bit for Dylan's Mommy. I added second degree. You're right; that is an option.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Here is some additional info, Dylan's Mommy. This was a big story here in the U.S. last Christmas season into early Spring.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/peterson/

From Court TV site:

Laci Peterson, a 27-year-old wife who was eight months pregnant, disappeared Christmas Eve, prompting a nationwide search. But when the body of the Modesto, Calif., woman and her unborn child were found four months later, her husband, Scott, was charged with two counts of murder.

Personally, I don't know if he did it. I haven't really followed the case. I think he is a disgusting man for cheating on his pregnant wife, but that doesn't make him a murderer. They said today on one of the major news stations that there is nothing but circumstantial evidence.

I don't know. I just hope that the right thing happens. I do think it is a big deal that the judge added the second-degree murder option. It seems to me the judge really wants a guilty verdict. Otherwise, I'm not sure why he would add it. I thought the prosecution's whole point was how he planned it and set it up. But as I said, I haven't followed the trial very closely.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was surprised at the second degree option also. The prosecution never mentioned a "crime of passion." They discussed the fact that he didn't want the responsibility of a wife and baby, and wanted the freedom to lead a bachelor style life. If a person plans the murder even an hour ahead of time, it is pre-meditated first degree murder.

Anyone watching Court TV or even the Larry King show, how do you feel about Nancy Grace? She gets on my last nerve with her arrogance! She makes everything sound like a National Enguirer article too. Grrrrrrr!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I voted second degree murder. I definately think he killed his wife, but a lot of the evidence is circumstantal. Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if he gets off completely.
I find Nancy Grace very annoying too. She belongs on one of those gossipy tabloid shows.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not only did he have the things Doeremi mentioned he also had $15,000 in cash his brothers license and his Mothers car. I'm hoping for a verdict of 1st degree murder also.

·
Registered
637 Posts
KitKat59 said:
Not only did he have the things Doeremi mentioned he also had $15,000 in cash his brothers license and his Mothers car. I'm hoping for a verdict of 1st degree murder also.
Yeah, I couldn't remember the other items. He's quite a jerk. I've also heard from other interviewers before he ended up in court that he actually seemed to outwit them. That the interviewers felt overwhelmed in a sense by his sense of superiority. He is very, very smart. It's not his first affair..just his first baby. I just don't think he was ready settle down.

Yes, Nancy gets on my nerves...very Enquirerish....too many facial motions or something.....she's very annoying..

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I polled "not guilty", because it doesn't look like they have enough evidence to prove that he was a murderer, lying SOB.

He's guilty as sin, in my opinion. A whole bunch of SERIOUSLY suspicious actions, but no clear physical evidence. Hopefully there's more than has been publicized. I'd like to see him in jail forever.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. The prosecution's case is full of holes that can't be filled. I think that if the jury does its duty, there will be a hung jury. Peterson's attorney, in his summation, is telling the jury that hating Scott Peterson as a cad does not make him guilty of murder. I think people will be talking about this for years, but there is room for reasonable doubt. :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
Everyone knows he did it. He is a *******. I hate him and he deserves the death pentaly. Who does this ? Hes crazy and doesn't deserve to have his freedom!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think he did it. I'd bet good money on it. Unfortunately, I don't think there is enough "hard" evidence to get a conviction of first degree murder.

To me, it seems horribly obvious that he did it, but there are holes that make a conviction difficult if you go by the book instead of going with your gut and instincts.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I truly believe he is guilty. This case is not very far from my home, and I have followed it very closely since the night Lacy went missing. Unfortunately, I think the prosecution has done a HORRIBLE job, and as a result of this, I bet Scott gets off, and we have another OJ on our hands.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ianthe, those who saw the trial think the prosecution did a great job, but just didn't have enough evidence to prove murder. I wish the judge would have allowed us to see this trial, or at least the highlights. If I were on the jury, regardless of my belief that he's probably guilty, there is just too much room for resonable doubt.

The experts think the defense case was pretty weak, but only because Gerigos had already torn apart the prosecution's case in cross examination. Sometimes, we forget that the defense has no duty to prove a defendant's innocence.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just heard two developments on Court TV. Someone has been calling in to the authorities or defense saying that they know who Laci's real killer. Evidently, they are following up on these calls.

Also, the attorneys have been asked to go into the judge's chamber. I believe the jury has a question. There is at least one detective in court. The reporters have not been told what's going on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts