Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For well over a decade, I took care of a beautiful cat named One Eyed Jack.

I am not allowed cats, but I would sneak him in overnight sometimes and feed him three times a day. I usually gave him his last feeding as I came home at night to find him waiting on my porch.

Then one night, on June 8 of this year, I strangely stayed home and did not want to be bothered. I did not open my door for 17 hours. I willfully neglected Jack. I was absorbed with computer problems.

On the morning of June 9, I received my severe punishment as I found the back hindquarters of Jacks body across the street. He had been mutilated.

I, however, am not the only one grieving.

About a year before Jack's death, a tiny calico kitten seemingly came out of nowhere and started tagging along with Jack. I named her Pheadra.

Jack became a step dad to her and domesticated her. They spent much of their time together and ate together.

It has now been over 11 weeks since Jack has been gone, and I am still feeding this small calico kitty.

I have failed to trap her and get her spayed, but have just missed. She has lost two litters of kittens.

At least three times a day, she still follows me up my porch, crying in a howling fashion, but not because she is hungry. She badly misses Jack.

She sniffs and wanders around my apartment, wondering where jack is, and why he deserted her.

I have contacted various people to try to get her adopted, but I have failed. I just get a cycle of referrals.

Will she ever forget Jack? Will she ever stop howling for him? Will time ever heel her?

There are not any other cats around here to keep her company. A few males only show up when she is in heat.

I do not have the same affection for this cat as I did for Jack. I don't seem to bond with her. Her presence makes it harder for me to end my grieving for Jack as well.

Nevertheless, she is my responsibility and I will not neglect her. I just wish she would move on, so I could as well.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Our cat toby grieved for 6 months after his buddy ottis had to be put down. cats feel deep emotions and attachements.

the best thing you can do is get your calico friend trap and spayed. Having litter after litter can destroy her health.

Go to the feral cat section and we can walk you thru getting her trapped. That would be the greatest gift you can give her. then continue to feed her or get her adopted out.

sorry about Jack. Unfortunately outdoor cats do come to terrible deaths. Reality. It stinks. Jack knew you loved him and he was fed. That is huge in a feral life not to go hungry. Run free sweet boy. RIP

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Animals have far greater emotions than we sometimes realise. Over the years I have had animals that grieve dreadfully for each other - even cross species.

·
Registered
412 Posts
My Zoe grieved for months after Gabe died - he was 2.5 and she was 3. Her entire life she would get so upset and cry for him for a day or 2 if she caught sight of his crate which I just couldn't part with and thought maybe someday I'd use again. She just got so overwhelmingly upset even though a couple years would sometimes go by in between seeing the crate and we had moved 3 times (and the crate itself even stayed in storage for 3 months) since he died. I think in her way she grieved a little for losing him for the rest of her life whenever she was reminded of him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts