Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 kitties original diet was half a cup of dry & half 3 ounce can of wet each, Then I started giving them, randomly, the whole can each and late night dry crunchy snacks while I tried to figure out their diet (stupidly I listened to THEM!). Now the vet cut them down to a third cup of crunchies and half 3 ounce can of wet food each --That's It! No More big Snacks (1 or 2 whiskerLickins here & there is okay).

How soon will their tummies adjust to this diet? When will they stop giving me the "I'm starving and wilting away to nothing"-Look? (At 13 pounds they WON'T wither away) When will the guilty looks and meowing for Hunger stop, or at least slow down? Everytime I go near the kitchen they rush ahead of me and patiently wait next to their bowls. I feel SO bad! They don't understand my explanations of course...

Will it get better?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Can vs dry

I believe if you give them just wet they will lose weight at a better rate and also they can have more which will keep them satisfied. What type of dry and can are they eating now?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dry is Felidae and the wet is select ProPlan flavors that they'll eat.
They're not overweight Yet, but had a good amount of gain in the period of time I was experimenting with extra foods to see how much they Should eat. I'm not too concerned about the amounts, now that I have a steady schedule and proportions. Both brands are good quality. I am mostly curious about when or if they will mentally or physically adjust to the smaller amounts.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
You should really switch them to an all wet diet. When they are only eating wet it is healthier for them and they will maintain a healthy weight and shed extra pounds if necessary.

Also, as far as the portions, they will fill up faster and not feel the urge to eat as much if they are eating a higher quality food. ProPlan is NOT a good food. It's really pretty bad actually. Their bodies tell them to eat more when they are eating a poor quality food because they need more of it to get the nutrients they need. In higher quality foods, they don't NEED to eat as much of it!

Here are the ingredients for ProPlan's Chicken & Rice:

Ingredients:
Water sufficient for processing, chicken, wheat gluten, liver, meat by-products, rice, corn starch-modified, natural and artificial flavors, tricalcium phosphate, salt, soy protein concentrate, potassium chloride, titanium dioxide color, taurine, choline chloride, Vitamin E supplement, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A supplement, ferrous sulfate, manganese sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), copper sulfate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, cobalt carbonate, potassium iodide, biotin. B-4657

All the things in bold are either not good for your cat or not necessary in the food. There are others as well, but I only highlighted the ones that were at the beginning of the label. The reason I highlighted liver is because it doesn't specify the source. It should say chicken liver or beef liver, etc.

For an example of the differences in foods, here are the ingredients for
Wellness Turkey canned food:

Turkey, Chicken Liver, Deboned Chicken, Turkey Broth, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Vegetable Gums, Flax Seed, Potassium Chloride, Alfalfa, Cranberries, Blueberries, Yellow Squash, Yellow Zucchini, Garlic, Dicalcium Phosphate, Spirulina, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E, A, D-3, And B-12 Supplements, Beta Carotene, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin Supplement, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, , Calcium Pantothenate, Iron Proteinate (Source Of Chelated Iron), Zinc Proteinate (Source Of Chelated Zinc), Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Copper Proteinate(Source Of Chelated Copper), Biotin, Manganese Proteinate (Source Of Chelated Manganese), Calcium Iodate, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

Here's ingredients for Innova canned cat food:

Turkey, Chicken, Spring Water, Whole Eggs, Ground White Rice, Chicken Fat, Potatoes, Herring, Sunflower Oil, Apples, Carrots, Whole Pasteurized Milk, Fish Oil, Alfalfa Sprouts, Garlic, Locust Bean Gum, Taurine, Vitamins/Minerals

See the difference??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts