Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Okay, I have a seven year old female cat named Samhain and we just got a new kitten (he is 14 weeks now) exactly a month ago, a male named Psi. At first Samhain wouldn't even come near him. If he got close, she would growl and hiss and run away. Eventually he started to pounce on her and try to jump on her. She would thwapp him and hiss and run away but he would chase her. He still does this but now Samhain has started to chase him too and she doesn't run up to her hiding place as much anymore when he starts to pester her. But they are not friends. Even if Psi walks by her she will thwapp him and growl. She doesn't trust him. She thinks that any time he is near her, he will try to jump on her. I really hope it isn't going to stay like this. Samhain is not the same. She is always suspicious and has to know exactly where he is at all times. She can never curl up with us and relax anymore. The only time she is relaxed is when she is on top of the bookshelf in her hiding place where he can't reach her. Will they ever be friends? Is this a normal part of the adjusting phase? Samhain has been over to my sister in law's house before and she has 2 cats (one of which is horrible to everyone in existence except her owner). Samhain has been there for extended periods probably 8 or 9 times and she would freak out for a few days but within 5 days or so, she would start to play with her 1 friendly cat and act completely normal. Why has she taken so long to come around this time?? The first time she met the cat, she was about 4 and the cat was 9 months. Is our kitten just too little still?

Looking for reassurance,
tanyuh

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hissing and spitting is to be expected when you introduce a new cat, I remember the neighbours' cats' reactions to my new kittens before they learned to tolerate them. But I agree, it doesn't sound like a very happy situation. The arrival of the new cat was probably quite stressful for Samhain. I wouldn't blame her for being jealous, imagine having a stranger come and live in your home. Then again, Psi might have found moving into a new home stressful as well. Maybe when things settle down they will learn to tolerate each other. I've heard of a product, the Feliway Scent Diffuser, which eases tension between cats in the same household. Good luck with them! :)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Majicou. Luck is what I need...

It's been a month and I thought that the tension would have decreased by now. Samhain has become very irritable. It may be because we spoiled her rotten when Psi came so that she knew she wasn't being replaced. It's not like I am afraid they will hurt eachother - they have never gotten in a full-on fight and I am completely comfortable leaving them alone...I just wish they were friends. I have wanted another cat for years now and I finally convinced my boyfriend to get me one. I have been having dreams of Samhain and another kitty sleeping together and cleaning eachother and playing together....but it just isn't to be and Samhain isn't the same. I just don't understand why because she always gets along with my sister-in-law's cat whenever she goes over there.

I guess I will just wait and hope for the best...

tanyuh

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think that she is having more trouble with psi because he is in HER house, before when she was around other cat's she was in their domain right? But this time there is an annoying little hyper kitten in her domain, she sees it as an intrusion, and an unwelcome one at that. She should come around in a bit, most cats do, she just has to realise that the kitten is there to stay.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm having the EXACT same problem with Sadie and Misty! Except for one thing...whenever Sadie is mean to Misty, Misty crouches to the floor scared out of her wits! Poor Misty, she's had to resort to playing with dogs! (see page 3 on my website..."Alex" is her best friend because they are the same size!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts