• no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see how many cats will tolerate such a doglike activity....

·
Registered
220 Posts
I purchased a harness and leash for my 14lb. Chrissie back in January, with the intention of taking him outside when the weather became warmer. I did try it out one January day in which it wasn't too cold. However, when he saw the neighbor's dogs who are adequately fenced in, Chrissie became scared and wanted back in the house. Otherwise, I believe that I could take him outside with a harness and leash for walking purposes.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I bought Sabby a leash and harness in preparation for my cross-country move to Ohio. I didn't feel right cooping him up in a carrier for three days. He did *not* like that leash one bit. Every time I put it on him, he flopped over on his side like his legs didn't work. I adjusted it and re-adjusted it and it fit exactly like it was supposed to. It seemed to embarrass him. When we broke down in St. Cloud, Minnesota (a lovely town!) I had him on the leash and harness at the car dealership and he was fine with it. Slept all day on a chair in the waiting room.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yeah, all three of them without any problems. Geisha doesn't reaaly enjoy the life "outside", she only likes to rest in the sun on the balconny. Pirjo and Sol though are just like dogs. :lol:

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
When vienna was pregnant and close to giving birth i got a lead for her, it was the summer, i needed the patio doors open, she needed fresh air. I dont know how other harnesses work but this one loops around the neck, and then under the legs around her body. One day she was outside and saw a bird- went to go for it, the part around her neck tightend right up and she was choking, my trying to make it loose was making it worse, it scared the **** out of me, and i never used it again.
Butch tried a different one...... he dug his claws into the ground and refused to move bascially lol

·
Registered
478 Posts
just got a harness for baby suzi; I plan to let her lead the way and just keep a guideing hand on her...I figure she'll get the best of both worlds!

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
I've already done it, and I can assure you, it's an activity that's not "dog-like" at all!! :wink: (I follow the cat, instead of the dog following me :lol: )

·
Registered
674 Posts
That is funny that you ask this question because I just got back from Petco and bought my new kitten a harness. I don't know if I plan to walk her, but I want her to get use to the harness so when I take her to the vet I have a harness and a carrier- for added security. I also like the idea of taking her outside in the backyard and letting her walk around on a harness.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hey, listen, iheartkittys, try not to let your personal prejudice color your posts here! :wink:

Many cats are better behaved on a leash than dogs... and they wisely regard the leash as a source of security in a big, scary, anti-cat, outdoor world!

Nika & Niko out for a little stroll in front of my house in Kyoto.

Rick

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am so jealous of you Rick. I would love to be able to do that w/ my cats, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Any tips?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Adrienne,

Honestly, those photos are of the very first time Nika & Niko have ever been outside on a leash!

I put the harnesses on them just before we went outside... they'd never had a harness on before.
They have always been (and except for future harness and leash walks, will remain) exclusively indoor cats.

The only other times they'd been outside, they were in a carrier... to go to the vet's.

I live on a very quiet cul-de-sac... and Nika & Niko are only 9 months old.

I guess that has something to do with their calmness on their very first 'expedition' outside on a leash and harness.

While we were out in front of my house, my neighbors' daughters came back from walking their huge Golden Retriever...

Nika & Niko sat calmly in my lap and watched as the big dopey dog walked just a meter past them without even noticing them!

Good kitties!

Rick

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
My gosh Rick those are amazing pictures! (I showed them to my boyfriend... he's been wanting to go to Japan for years now - apparantly Kyoto is known for being one of the most beautiful cities there?)

My cats were always so curious about the outdoors when I had the windows and the inside doors open, so I thought they would like to go for walks... so I bought them a pink harness and leash :D and took them out. They weren't too impressed. Ariel sniffed around a bit then tried to hide under a car. Jasmine just kept her belly to the ground and cried the whole time. I think I should have started earlier - I took them out for the first time when they were a year old. I don't want to keep bringing them out if they're so scared, but whenever I go onto the balcony they keep trying to get out... contradictory cats. :roll:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use a harness that we had bought for our mini schnauzer and my boys don't mind it. My tabby is so shy, he kinda turns into a dust mop and I end up carrying him!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Linx has always been in a harness Mischka took awhile to get use to one but in the end she accepted it, Sundance I haven't tried because I have the enclosure now

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got a harness and leash for Kitty, but she won't really walk on it. I take her outside at times, so I have it on her as a security. She doesn't much care for it outside, though, so we don't go out often.

·
Registered
327 Posts
My cat wont go out unless theres a leash..the second i hold the leahs he comes and stand waits till i put it on him...but i dont do it often or else he will get too used to going outside..oncee in a while.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts