Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor little lady. She has been in the house about 15 minutes. She is in my room with some food, water and litter tray. But she is very frightened, currently hiding under a chair and hissing everytime i go near. I have to sleep in there tonight! How long before she at least stops hissing? How can i help her to be less afraid? She is going to have to put up with a three hour train journey with me on Friday!

·
Registered
731 Posts
probably keep her in that room for the first few day until she starts to feel more secure there, before letting her leave the room. Make sure shes got a safe comfy spot under the bed that she can always run to. Move slowly and quietly and speak to her gently. Yawn and sigh relaxedly as signs cats can relate to. let her smell you before touching her. Make yourself her height when trying to make contact. Stop touching her when she warns you and give her space.

Edit: wait - dont you know all this already?

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really. When Toby arrived, he settled down pretty quickly but that is because he has been accusomed to new environments. He was fostered out all over the place when he was a kitten/young cat. Willow has only had one home since she was a kitten. Only ever had one 'mum'. She is about a year old so still just a baby.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Awww, she is probably scared, poor thing. Do you have a Feliway infuser that could help her calm down a little? Since she will be at your house such a short time that she might not really settle down.

I think that she should be ok on the train- she will probably just hide in the back of the carrier.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, she has eaten already (she likes Bozita!) and seems to have settled down a tad. I've been able to give her a little stroke but she still hisses if I move too suddenly. She is a lovely looking cat, pure white and with one golden eye and one blue one.

Mum says she will keep Willow separated from Felix the first week and then slowly introduce them. She is an old hand at introducing cats, thankfully. Felix is very friendly with other cats and apparently Willow likes them too. I'm a bit worried about the age difference though - we have a teeny bopper and a old man here! :lol:

She loves the outdoors apparently. Mum has a HUGE garden and lives in the country so she will have lots of fun when she is eventually allowed out (Mum has always kept new cats indoors for 6 weeks). I imagine Felix will show her the sights. ;)

Of course, when Toby goes with me to visit Mum, that will be rather interesting as well. Hmmmm ....

I'll just be glad when I have got her up there to be honest, so she can settle in her new home. Any general suggestions on how to make it all as stress free as possible for her and the Fee much appreciated.

Pics arriving soon!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Is it true that all white cats with bi-color eyes are deaf on the blue eye side?

Any sign of it? not that it should bother anybody but it's good to understand each kitty.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave_ph said:
Is it true that all white cats with bi-color eyes are deaf on the blue eye side?

Any sign of it? not that it should bother anybody but it's good to understand each kitty.
Mum mentioned that she might be deaf, but she certainly acts as if she can hear. Whether she can hear with both eats, I couldn't say.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
The only advice I've got is for your train-trip, since it seems your Mom knows how to do cat-intro's. For the trip, I would bring a scrap of lightweight sheet to toss over her carrier so she cannot see out and get all freaky. The sheet will still allow air-flow but it will block her vision of the scary-sights. It won't block sound, but that's the best idea I've got.
Safe trip.
h

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I was going to ask if she was deaf on the blue side too. Just dug up these stats on blue eyed/white cats:

* 95% of the general cat population is non-white cats (i.e. not pure white) and congenital deafness is extremely rare in non-white cats.
* 5% of the general cat population is white cats (i.e. pure white). 15-40% of these pure white cats have one or two blue-eyes.
* Of those white cats with one or two blue eyes, 60-80% are deaf; 20-40% have normal hearing; 30-40% had one blue eye and were deaf while 60-70% had one blue eye and normal hearing.
* Of the 5% of white cats in the overall population, 60-80% had eyes of other colors (e.g. orange, green). Of those 10- 20% were deaf and 80-90% had normal hearing.
* Deaf white cats with one or two blue eyes account for 0.25 - 1.5 of total cat population
* Total number of cats with white coat and blue eyes account for 0.75 - 2.0% of total cat population

http://www.messybeast.com/whitecat.htm

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
* 95% of the general cat population is non-white cats (i.e. not pure white) and congenital deafness is extremely rare in non-white cats.

And I know exactly why when I look out to the unlit screen enclosure at night and can see the 5 lb streak of white that is Mia and not be able to find 12 lbs of slow moving brown on top white on the bottom Fay.

Nature is cruel to white kitties.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I've very gently suggested to my mother that its possible that Willow is partially deaf and therefore it might be safer if she wasn't allowed freedom to roam other than the garden and, to my amazement, she agreed! Felix rarely leaves the garden and its huge, so hopefully that will fulfill her 'outdoor needs' (as she is used to going outside).

I have noticed that she really leans her head to one side when listening to you, so who knows?

Getting her into the carrier tomorrow night might be a bit of a challenge! I hope its doesn't cause her too much distress, but I don't think she is going to take kindly to me picking her up. :?

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
You already know cats are incredibly adaptable animals. If Willow is deaf in one ear, no doubt she functions as well as any kitty with binaural hearing.

Just move slowly when you're near her, Allie, give her blinkies, look down at the space close to you, and softly vocalize "hmmm" and "ummmm" for her. Be her Bringer Of Good Things, to quote Heidi. :wink:
Can't wait for pictures! :p

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Okay, I'm missing something here. Is Willow the cat that belonged to someone who had joined CF and for reasons that I can't/don't remember was having to rehome/give her up? And didn't Allie arrange to have her mother take the cat? Is this right?

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my4kitties said:
Okay, I'm missing something here. Is Willow the cat that belonged to someone who had joined CF and for reasons that I can't/don't remember was having to rehome/give her up? And didn't Allie arrange to have her mother take the cat? Is this right?
No, Willow is a different cat. The situation you remember from a while ago turned out to be very frustrating and, ultimately, a waste of my time :roll:

We are currently on the train. Boy, did I have trouble getting her into the carrier! I thought I probably would, so was well prepared for some firecracking! And I got it! She shouted her head off as soon as I picked her up and bit my hand repeatedly until I got her in there. She is now sat in there as good as gold and is letting me stroke her chin though the bars.

I hope she doesnt have an accident because I'm not letting her out in the train toilet to clean her out. No siree! I usually let Toby have a wonder while I wash everything out. Thats not happening with this little lady!

My hand is really swollen now, and covered in puncture holes!

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave_ph said:
Sounds like she's half way home.
She is being really good now and I'm told she is very affectionate but also very timid (reminds me of a ginger and white catpig I know and love).

She has about two hours on the train and then we are home and dry.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
October said:
Have you had a tetanus shot lately?
Not for some considerable time, but they last for ages dont they?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I think you only need a tetnus shot if he stabs you with a rusty knife.

I may be wrong. I didn't know we could refreeze meat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts