Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our cats likes to jump up into our window sills and get behind the blinds to look outside. Unfortunately, the sills are quite high, so she grips her claws into the wood and pulls up, leaving scratches everywhere. She also is causing damage to the expensive blinds. We have put tape in some of the window sills, which has kept her out. But, she just keeps moving to different windows. Short of putting tape in every one of our windows (which looks horrible), what can we do to keep her out? We've thought about setting up one window for her to be able to look out without getting in the blinds or scratching the sill, but we're worried that she'll still have a preference for many of the others in the house. She seems to pick and choose randomly as it is right now. Any advice?

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
What I have had to do is place furniture under each of our windows. Now that the couch, desk, bed, etc, are placed strategically, my cats no longer leave those long gouges. Another option is to buy/make those ledge-covers. It is basically a carpetted ledge that covers the original base casing of your window. Hopefully someone can give you a link to it, because I don't know where it is :? .

Cats always love to sit it in windows, so I feel it is unfair to stop them from doing it (just my opinion though). Often, you have to work around the cat and make small sacrifices in order for everyone to be happy. Another option for you might be soft-claws because she could do less damage with them on.
http://www.softclaws.com/

*edit* As for the blinds, I always kept mine open to avoid that whole problem :lol: . If you leave the blinds about 2 inches above the sill, that might prevent the damage. The only other thing that worked for me was to move to a house with vertical blinds :lol: .

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Cats always want to go look outside of windows but mine insisted on moving around the blinds every morning at my apt. so what I did was leave the blinds up a few inches and then they didn't swing it around or crush them. At my other apt, we had vertical blinds and they loved to sit in them but once they started playing, it wasn't fun to hear 8)

You may want to try putting something around your window area so you cat can jump on that and then up to the window. They're going to get to the window one way or another :!:

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have used soft claw's for about a year and I would suggest them to any one. I have stoped using them know because mija has leardned where to scrach and where noy to it kind of trained her.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Horizontal blinds would be better in that situation obviously, but they're aren't as easy to find. They also have cat ledges that attach to your sill for them to perch on.

·
Registered
209 Posts

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
I don't like those flimsy pet-store window perches, so I made my own, and I designed it to protect the window sill:

and it's removeable when it gets in the way, as it does here in the spare bathroom (there's a shower stall to the left):

....just an idea of something to do yourself if you a DIY'er like me. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts