Has anyone updated yet?
Do you like it?
Any 'Bugs' in the new version?
:)
Sharon

·
Registered
23 Posts
My owner is having me update two of our computers at work sometime here in the next week or so. I manage a 55-room hotel. As soon as I get them updated, I'll let you know how I like it. I deal with Windows 7 and 8 mainly right now (7 on our main computer and my office computer, 8 on our secondary computer and guest computer). Only reason we aren't updating our main computer to 10 yet is because our property management system runs optimally on 7 until they release the new version of it later this year, then it'll be updated to run on 10.

I have to say that on a regular desktop (without a touchscreen monitor), I like Windows 7. However, I have Windows 8.1 on my tablet (HP Stream 7) and I really like it with the touchscreen. It's a pain in the behind if you don't have a touchscreen, though.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Sharon, we just updated. I am getting used to it, slowly. My old computer has Windows 7 on it and I was pretty comfortable with it. I never tried Windows 8 at all. So far, it seems to be working ok. I haven't noticed any significant glitches. I can't really say I like it yet but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
I have Windows 8, which I hate, but I'm not downloading Windows 10 just yet. I've read that it made a couple of things worse, so I'm waiting until any complaints are addressed and a newer version of 10 comes out.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
I have a Mac so it doesn't effect me, but I DO have a windows phone. I dled it and LOVE LOVE LOVE it so far.

I need to check my tablet and see if it's available there.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I LOVE Windows 7. I absolutely despise Windows 8. My gaming/desktop computer has Windows 7 and I have no plans of changing it anytime soon since I personally think it's the best OS around. My laptop had Windows 8 on it when I purchased it, unfortunately... and the only reason I didn't download 7 on it is because I only use it to watch YouTube and movies.

I'm going to upgrade my laptop soon since, like I said, I hate Windows 8 and I don't think 10 could possibly be worse. But I'm slightly disappointed since Microsoft claimed "10 would be a lot more like 7"... doesn't look like it. From what I've seen, it looks like Windows 8 but with a normal start menu... so we shall see.

I'll probably be one of those people who has Windows 7 on my main PC for nearly a decade like people did with Windows XP :lol:

Side rant: I hate how Microsoft made Windows 8 an operating system optimized for touch screens... sure, that's great for products that actually HAVE touch screens. But for those of us who prefer desktops or regular laptops, it's a pain in the butt. Seriously, could they not have separated it like Apple does? Apple has a certain interface for touchscreens, and another for regular computers. It isn't that hard.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have Windows 8, which I hate, but I'm not downloading Windows 10 just yet. I've read that it made a couple of things worse, so I'm waiting until any complaints are addressed and a newer version of 10 comes out.
I agree completely. I always wait whenever new updates (for my phone) or new operating systems for my PC come out... I like to wait and let the bugs get worked out before I bother with it.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I hate it. Mandy and Ellie, I'm totally with you. When I was originally shopping around for a laptop several months ago, I thought it was pretty telling that a selling point was that the OS was Win7 and that they made a point of saying that you had the option of changing Win8 to 7. LOL. My brother told me I would hate 8. The tech guy at Staples said 10 is supposed to be a blend of the best of 7 and 8. But what's he supposed to say...

I realize I'm totally resistant to change, but I had no problem changing to Windows 7, or Word 2007. They were smart and super intuitive. I hate this new version of MS Word. Well no, I don't HATE it. But I really dislike it.

I also realized that what makes me hate technology-related products is when the people who created them assume that I'm going to want certain things that I absolutely do not want. When you click on "start" in Win10, you get "Life at a Glance" to the right of the usual list. It was preloaded with all sorts of crap that I don't use. I deleted a bunch of stuff. Aha, I just figured out how to delete the title "Life at a Glance." :) Now if I could just delete the whole section....I was trying to get a screen shot of what it looks like, but the snipping tool doesn't work when the start menu opens.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
What's driving me crazy is the pop up window that keeps offering Win10 for free. I don't see anyway to get rid of it permanently and I have 2 computers at work that I won't be loading it on because my Point of Sale software doesn't support it (and won't because they've stopped supporting it). And I don't plan on upgrading that software any time soon.

I don't mind Win8...I just put shortcuts to all my regular programs on my desktop and rarely ever have to go to the stupid Start Menu.

·
Registered
728 Posts
In the terms of service on Win10 they state they have one hundred percent, full access to anything and everything on your computer. All pictures, videos, documents, websites, emails, instant messages, everything. They also monitor peer to peer traffic (like torrenting, if you're familiar with that). I'm sure nothing would come of that information, but I would avoid upgrading if at all possible.

If you have 7, stick with 7. If you have 8... well, I'm sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
0ozma,
I certainly don't like the idea, that Win10 has Full Access to Everything...:eek:
I'm even very picky about what I put on my phone!
Thanks for the info!
S.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Can I BUY Win7??? Why they ever screwed with it - oh never mind, it was because of the Mac. I want my Win7 professional back.

I'm not an idiot. I can read more than 4 words on my screen at once. I would like to see more than 4 words, so I don't have to click on 15 different things to find the 5th word.

I found the search bar. They choose to default to hiding it. Why??? But it also searches your computer and the entire universe. I just want it find a freaking file on my computer. I don't think there's an option to change this. What is Candy Crush? I uninstalled it, along with every other app that it allowed me to uninstall. It won't let me uninstall Priceline. Or some stupid help/chat thing called Cortana. Or X-box. I don't do apps. I don't want them. I can't get enough crap off this computer. :x :x :x

HATE. It's been over a week, and I'm still at hate. I don't think it'll be changing, at this point.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I ended up putting 10 on the gaming rig because I've been having issues with my 7 key and I didn't feel like spending the limited amount of time I have to play Metal Gear Solid V being interrupted by Windows with prompts to that end. Overall I really like it. The installation was quick and painless and all of my games and their related programs are working just fine!

... oh and Metal Gear Solid V is AHMAZING! If you are a gamer, I highly recommend it. I just wish it had come out at the beginning of the summer when I actually had free time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I only had grief with Windows 10 and I'll explain that it's not completely the operating system to blame.
The very first thing that happened was the deletion of every playlist I had ever made in iTunes. All songs were still there, any saved backups of the library became corrupted because of the upgrade to Windows 10.
The next thing was the discovery that I had to downgrade to Windows 8.1 because a course that I am taking uses a website for homework and as of today they are still not using Windows 10.
Well, after the downgrade - at the end of August - I have had problems with various programs on my computer. Not to mention the fact that the computer wants to upgrade to Windows 10. It tried doing that twice on it's own.

While Windows 10 might be decent in some ways, I will not be making the same mistake twice.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A WARNING!! Windows 10 is SNEAKY!! If you 'Reserve' it, they start downloading updates!
Then you have only three days of choice to download the whole thing! I've been having to put it Off now for a while...three days at a time! I am so TICKED off!! And no one seems to know how to get rid of it...except for a reset back to a restore point!
You will lose some of your favorite settings, and have more of their 'BS' shoved down your throat!
I joined the 'Microsoft' Community, to ask for help, and there are a lot of people Ticked Off about this!:banghead:
BEWARE!
Sharon

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
I'm still not downloading it. I'll wait until the bugs are ALL worked out. I expect that to happen around 2017.....

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Marie, don't 'Reserve' it, they start downloading stuff...quietly, behind the scenes, then they start bugging you to 'Update'....it's 'fugly'!!

I wish I was some Computer Super Tech...so I could get rid of this....thing!

·
Super Moderator
26,391 Posts
I'm not, believe me.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This Truly, is the WORST update ever, done by Microsoft...and definitely the most Sneakily done one!:mad:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts