Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A small himalayn cat wandered into my backyard several days ago. Poor thing must have been outside for a long time. Her hair was entirely matted, fleas, ticks, and various other things were stuck on her, and she has a blind eye. I've taken her in, and for the past several days have been working on cutting and shaving all her fur. I have gotten rid of the bugs, and shes eating, drinking, and using the potty. Weird thing is, even though she was a stray, she has a sweet, loving, non-feral personality! It all doesn't add up. I'm just horrified that someone could dump this cat!
She has been named "Winkolina"
Once she is cleared by the vet, she will join our kitty family! How could I say no to that little smushed face?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
She may not be a dumped stray. She may be someone's beloved pet that somehow got out and has been gone a long time. You should all local shelters, rescues, and vets to see if she has been reported missing.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Sounds like she was definitely a pet dumped or on an adventure. Your Vet will check for a chip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MowMow- I'm on it. Have already checked on the interwebs, and I'm going to the vet today, I can see if they have any info.

My guess is that she always had a blind eye, and because of that, they could see no 'value' in her. What a shame. I am glad that I found her though. You can see shes had a really rough time.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Don't forget local shelters.

I know that if one of my babies had gotten out and was gone I'd be desperate to find them. I hope someone who had found them would be good enough to try and send him home.

Aside from all that, I'm glad she found someone who will love and take care of her.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Congrats on your caring for this stray, MeowFace!

I've read that it's the former house cats that look worst as strays, due to depression. They often stop grooming. Sadly, this is an every day thing for us stray caregivers in my country, as according to the local culture it's perfectly fine to dump your house cats once you've had enough of them. The friendly, bad-looking stray is the majority of the strays here. Then there are strays that are friendly by nature (genetic, or had some positive human contact early on, such as a supermarket guard that would give them something to eat and some petting once in a while). I think my 3 street rescues may be of this latter kind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts