Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So with her adoption becoming official, I am getting all of her records. I thought some of you who have been following her story might be interested in seeing her radiographs. They give you an idea of just how severe her injuries were, and how extensive her repairs were.

This is her broken left femur. Because she was left in her condition for about a month, there was excessive damage and bone regrowth that was messed up from her moving around when her fracture wasn't stabalized.

And the repair from two angles. They removed a lot of bone fragments, cleaned it all up, aligned it as best as they could, and stabalized the fracture with a metal implant and pins. Because she was left with the injury for so long, the muscle never grew back correctly, and fused to the shaft of her femur, preventing her from being able to bend that knee.

Unfortunately, when that implant was removed during her second surgery, the bones were unable to hold up and here is what happened.

And so they had to go back in and try something new on that femur. What you are seeing in her other leg is the second repair attempt of her hock.

The second femur repair was successful, but the problems were not over. The first hock repair failed and so did the second. The pins did not hold up and this was when amputation was starting to be discussed. They decided to give it one last try, so she had another surgery to have a metal splint placed with pins. I don't have the radiograph from that at this moment, but it's basically a big metal "L" shape that holds her ankle in position, hence why she cannot bend it. She'll be having that removed soon. This radiograph shows what happened after her second set of pins failed.

That's all for now folks, hope those who are interested have enjoyed these images!

·
Registered
270 Posts
You are adopting her?! I'm so glad! I know you had said you didn't plan to, but I felt strongly that she should be with you. I am very happy to hear the news. :)

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Rachael, these images left me shaking my head at what Winry has been through. Some made me wince.

It hit especially close because one of my ferals just had a broken leg, withered and partially healed, but fortunately, thanks to the amazing ability of kitten bones to heal, my vet helped turn it around to a nearly full recovery.

What my kit Stubby endured was nothing like what Winry the trooper endured. But return him to the feral barn? Nooo.

I am so happy you're adopting Winry. The bond you share is unique.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Wow. That poor girl has been through so much, and you have been with her through it all. Really amazing, and so lucky for her that she had you and will have you forever now.

·
Registered
624 Posts
That was very amazing and interesting, Rach! I don't know what Winry look's like:? What colour is he? I looked at your thread, 'New Family Photo', but couldn't figure out which cat he was.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My pretty diva :)

Rachael, these images left me shaking my head at what Winry has been through. Some made me wince.
When I think that I've got it bad, I just think back to poor Winry, and what she went through. She is so brave, and so tough! And to still be so sweet and fun loving after all she's been through just shows what an amazing spirit she has. There's never a dull moment with Winry, she's just so darn cute and such a good little companion. She's the best listener in the whole house, even better than Magneto, who only comes when called about 80% of the time whereas Winry is darn close to 100.

Winry isn't the lucky ones you guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts