Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all! Winston is 5 months old, and a shelter rescue who came to live with me about two months ago. We share our home with Ruth, an 8 month old kitten who came to live with me when she was 6 weeks. Aside from a few skirmishes the first few days Winston was brought home, Ruth and Winston have gotten along swimmingly. They lay together, groom each other, have no issues eating right next to each other or sharing litter boxes.

Ruth was never a velcro kitty, and nor has any other cat who's adopted me. She's always been loving, but has not had to be in the same room or had a driving need to be on a lap since she was very little. Winston, however, is becoming my second skin. I honestly have no problem with this, as I think it's cute as all else, but I'm wondering why. He's never more than a few feet from me, even when I'm in the shower. It's to the extent that when I pick him up after him meowing at my feet for attention he climbs onto my shoulders, lays across the back of my neck, and sticks there like glue for hours (I am not kidding you on the hours). We do the dishes together. We go potty together. We watch TV in the same position, and when it's time to go to bed, I lean over, he jumps onto the bed, waits for me to climb in, and curls up at my chest with the most contented of purrs. Even now, he is sitting on the computer desk staring at me. We play hide-and-go seek, with me running and ducking behind a chair, and him running after me, standing on his back paws when he finds me, doing a weird funny little dance with his front paws, and running off to hide for me to find him. Totally a blast.

But why do some cats become velcro cats?

·
Registered
111 Posts
generally i've heard that male cats are more affectionate than females, but i'm not totally sure that's true. my mickey and i were like you and your winston, practically joined at the hip.

sometimes when a kitten is separated from his momma cat too soon s/he can do things like suckling, to comfort them. my mickey was separated from his momma cat at just under 4 weeks old and he would sometimes gently nibble on my ear lobe. he also did this really cute thing, he'd bite my nose. mickey learned to be gentle when biting my nose, and in his later years he would just put his teeth on my nose instead of actually biting it. maybe winston feels the need to stay close to you if he was separated from his momma cat too soon.

maybe it's like mickey and i were, soulmates, for you and winston. i've loved quite a few cats in my life so far, but mickey was (and still is) the great love of my life.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've wondered about Winston being separated too early from his mother. He was a shelter rescue, 2 months when I brought him home (sorry for the typo above), was an owner surrender, and was 6 weeks, which is the youngest they will take in kittens; otherwise, they are distributed to foster homes until they reach the required age. However, Winston does suckle. I'll wake up most nights with him suckling on my ear, or when I pet him I end up with a big wet spot on the sleeve of my shirt.

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
Hello fellow New Mexican! I am in Las Cruces. Your Winston sounds like my Winston! My Winston follows me, sits on my lap, sleeps on my bed, etc. it have other cats but none of them is as affectionate as Winston. Maybe is a name thing! :)
I got him at seven weeks from Craiglist. He is supposed to be my son's cat but pretty much from day one Winston decided that I was his human. I love all the other kitties of course but Winston has a special place I my heart. That is him in my Avatar.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I know what it's like to be owned by a velcro kitty. I found out last week that my cat Nubey who my grandparents adopted from my dad's friend Cindy was originally a feral cat, and he didn't get along with Cindy. I had no idea that within a week of having him, he would become one of the most loving cats to ever be part of my life. He was just over a year old when we adopted him. I'll never forget that first time he came up to me. I can't remember what I was doing, but Nubey saw me, and he thought it was the perfect time to introduce himself to me. He came up to me, jumped on my lap, purred like crazy, and then started massaging me. I can tell you right now that before this happened, I wasn't absolutely sure of what he would think of me. We had him for about maybe 4 or 5 days at that point. This was in 2001. The next day, when he saw me for the first time after becoming an official lap cat, he decided to do something that was extremely sweet, and very adorable at the same time. He ran up to me, purring like crazy, chirped at me, blinked his eyes at me, jumped up on his hind legs, and gave me a hug! I was instantly surprised & delighted! He officially became my baby boy. Even if he was a year old, he was considered by me to be my baby. Often, if we crossed each other's paths, I'd rub his cheeks, and he'd purr. He gave me more than just 1 hug through his lifetime. We had to put him down a few years ago because he wasn't eating right. He was almost 12. He is in my heart though. I hope to find another cat who is as sweet, friendly, loving & playful as he was.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jetlaya: How funny is that?! Two Winstons from New Mexico! Yours is a cutie!

Howsefrau: I am also very glad when they hit it off so well. I admit to having been extremely nervous, especially since Ruth was a little terror when she was an only kitty, nicknamed at the vet "Ruthless" and a "Good/bad cat". Plus, she seemed so very much larger than Winston. However, Winston has taught her to not bite hard, and that scratching is bad, lessons that thankfully have been transferred to the humans in Ruth's life.

ndiniz: I'm sorry to hear about your Nubey. It's so hard to lose such a wonderful little part of your life!

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
This isn't a story about a cat...
But its about another Special Winston...
I was a llama wrangler for a while and one of the boys was Winston, he was a sweetie for me, but wouldn't do anything for his owner...
She was always upset about that...
When my Dad died from cancer, I had to take a little time off...
But than the owner said I really needed to get back there...
I went back and started to try and work with the boys, but I just couldn't hold it together...
I found a tree to lean against and was crying, when I felt a very gentle nudge...it was Winston, when I turned around, he laid his head over my shoulder and just gently leaned against me...I stood there hugging Winston for a long time and he was making a sound that llamas will make to each other, to reassure everythings ok...

When I left that job, I found out later, the owner had sold him...she considered him impossible to train....
He always did everything I asked of him...
I have always wondered about him...I hope he found a good home...
Sigh...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I guess it helps to have a Winston in your life. I'm sure many British people feel that way.

5 months is still a baby or toddler so to speak. If this behavior is tolerable and many of us would like a Velcro cat, let it be and accept it for what it is..an overly affectionate companion. Probably with time, it will lessen, but Winston will forever need your neck and body to be close to.

You have two treasures and all get along. Life is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts