Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm in a bit of a pickle. Scouring the net and the forum yields no practical solution to this common problem, esp with a stubborn, insistent, rambunctious feline friend.

Bitter apple/vingear/tabasco sauce/hot sauce: This only works if the wires are kept moist with it. It's impractical to micromanage this, constantly re-wetting them. I might as well just sit there and guard the wires 24/7. As for the tabasco/hot sauce, that's even worse. I really don't want sticky hot sauce on my power cords.

Spraying water: Again, this requires micromanaging. I love my cat, but I don't have the time to camouflage behind some curtains with a spray bottle, waiting for her to misbehave. I could very well be doing a potentially fruitless stakeout for this. It's not like she has a wire chewing schedule. Plus there's the potential for me to miss her entirely and cover my electrical equipment in water. Electricity + water = no more electricity run toys. If I really do end up getting her, she'll just run that particular time only to try again later when I least expect it.

Crittercord/wire loom: I have a massive amount of computer/audio-video wiring. I don't relish having to encase each and every one of these wires. It might even be an impossible task. Bundling them likely won't work. She'll just pick a nice one out of the bunch for dining.

Keeping said wires behind closed doors: I can't do this. My mom believes in 'keeping the air circulating to prevent her from suffocating'. Don't ask.

This is driving me batty. I ended up unplugging all the wiring and storing it in a box when I'm not using them. Highly impractical. I got tired of that real fast and currently, I gave up using my desktop because of this. I'm fresh out of ideas on this one. Anyone have some innovative solutions?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Bundling/casing them has got to be less work than unplugging them whenever they're not in use. You only have to case them once. Yeah, it can be a pretty big task, but I can't imagine it taking any more than an afternoon - maybe two if you've got a phonetics lab or studio in the basement ;)

I've got a pretty intense set up myself (both at home and in the office/lab at school), and generally bundle/tube my wires anyways for aesthetic purposes and ease of use for the techs. Good cable management leads to happy electronics, both inside and out :). I use coloured heatshrink wrap, but any kind of tubing does the job.

Crittercord (I think it's called Chewsafe here) is a neat idea, but it's pretty expensive, considering you can get 10ft of plastic tubing for $3 from monoprice. (heatshrink tubing is somewhere around $6 for 100 ft, which makes the budget demons happy).

If you're already at the point where you're unplugging everything every time you're done using it, I really think you should revisit tubing them. I promise it's not impossible.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just making a point for the rest of the people with the same problem. For cats like mine, bundling doesn't deter them. And yes, it can get expensive.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Joy chews wires...but she only does it for attention. So its not that big of a problem. The bitter spray that you were using, is it alchohol base? If so yah, good luck...Try one that isn't as cats come to realized that when the smell goes so does the taste! The one we used is called "Fooey!" It still tastes bitter weeks after we used it (trust me, we learned the hard way when we bought our new TV... DO NOT put your fingers anywhere near your mouth afterwards, and keep a fan off! It will get down your throat and NOTHING takes it away but time....
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Just making a point for the rest of the people with the same problem. For cats like mine, bundling doesn't deter them. And yes, it can get expensive.
I bundle them (with cable ties) before I tube them. It's more for convenience and organization, but if you tube them with a 1" or bigger case, it's too big for my cat to get her mouth around. Sometimes she'll try, but after a few seconds she doesn't bother.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cable ties will bundle the wires but leave them equally exposed. I suppose I can get a bigger casing that's too big for her mouth.

Whole reason why I hesitate with bundling/casing is that it makes it difficult for me when I need to access the wires.....which I do frequently since I'm one of those techie ppl who fiddle with their computer set up a lot.

Someone mentioned another way was to block up the wiring...hide it behind furniture. Out of sight, out of mind. Gonna have to find some way of trying that one out.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Bundle the wire that you are unable to keep out of reach (under rugs/couch and such). This alone helps since the cat isn't likely to chew on a massive looking cord. You can wrap in aluminum as well.

The hassle of wrapped wires are better than a dead cat...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Bitter Apple spray worked fine for me even when dry... maybe my cat just didn't figure out that it didn't taste nasty anymore? Unfortunately the spray worked on me too... I'd manage to get it on my fingers and get a nasty surprise...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts