Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I applied for a Senior Laboratory Technician position today in the Veterinary Pathobiology lab at University of Missouri's Vet School!! They are looking for students who graduate in May with a BS in Biological Sciences (which I will!! Yay!). When I contacted them asking for more info and indicating my experience, they zapped me an application and told me they were very excited to meet me - next week!!

I want to get some more experience under my belt before I apply to graduate schools next year My fiance graduates in May '07 and as he is an Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering major, we will most likely have to move for him to find a good position and thus I will have to find a graduate school elsewhere. This job is soooo perfect for me! I would be working on cryopreservation of rodent embryos, IVF, cloning, etc... I would ultimately love to go into stem cell research, but this is a good starting place!

I am sooo excited to have found a position like this and I HOPE that I get this job!! So please all of you wish me tons of luck!!

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
:D :D :D

Applying for a research technican is a WONDERFUL idea (one I had always wished I had done instead of going to grad school two weeks after graduation)

By the time you enter graduate school, you will have more experience under the belt. You will be able to write better proposals and hopefully you will win the $45000 a year FOR THREE YEARS NSF Fellowship. Yale automatically accepts NSF Fellows and they match the Fellowship founds, making a comfortable 10K a year 8O 8O 8O

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is crazy that right now we are living on financial aid... less than 12,000 a year for two people! Its tough, but we get by (the 400.00 car payment doesn't help :) ).

If I got this job, I would be making $30,000 a year which sounds like a lot to me! :D It also means that my fiance would get a tuition break (if your spouse is an employee, you go to school for 1/2 price), I would get benefits through the University and we could still ride together to campus... (save on gas!). Which ultimately means that we could actually start saving a little to put down on a house when we get wherever we are going!!!!

I am not sure if I am going to go to graduate school or medical school yet (haven't ruled out dental school either). I just know that making any more money than I do now would be FANTASTIC!!! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts