Cat Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Cats can also lash out at random because they have some painful or irritating medical condition. e.g. arthritis, urinary problem, pain.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Thought of that... which would explain why sometimes he doesn't like his butt scratched. Lots of questions, not too many answers, though...
Have you noticed anything different with his urinary or eating habits? If he's sensitive in his butt it could be he has some problem like arthritis or he's just supersensitive there (and you should avoid irritating him by scratcing his butt when you kow he doesn't like it). Have you had a vet check him out? Had a blood panel done? Some thyroid conditions may result in unusual behavior. Another thing that can set cats off, is if they smell the scent of another cat or dog(usually a strange one) on your hands from petting it. Try washing your hands before coming near or handling your cat and see if that makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
26,523 Posts
Lots of cats just plain don't like their butts scratched. And he's probably giving you signals that you aren't picking up on, they could be very subtle.

Saw on a show how some cats get overstimulated when you pet their entire body. Stick to just scratching his little cheeks (on his face) and see how he acts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It's not that he always likes it or always does not. He'll be up eating and I'll scratch his butt and he'll love it, he'll almost fall over sometimes. Other times I'll scratch his butt for a moment and then he'll hiss. A vet visit or something along those lines is due. He needs his next round of shots ANYWAYS. He's about 2 1/2 and they're a little overdue. It's the simple fact that it's not really able to be forcasted his sudden change in mood.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Let us know how the vet visit goes. In a way, I hope it is a medical problem, as that is usually easy to fix than a behavioral one. Discuss his behavior with the vet; if he he checks out physically AOK, it's possible vet may suggest some sort of behavior-modifying medication on a short term to see if that improves things. Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
We moved into the new house 2 weeks ago. The cats came a few days later, 2 weeks tomorrow, in fact. He's up in the laundry basket as my gf was packing. lol He's almost (virtually overnight) the same kitteh again. Still fights with Luna... he seems to be pretty jealous. But he's like a big kitten again. He's a big baby... like... lol wakes us up @ 4 EVERY MORNING by scratching on the side of our vinyl bed. I could kill him for it. But he's my big kitty again. I don't get it. He was different in the house we moved out of, he was terrible at my gf's parents house while we were waiting to move in. Like... what's up with that? Luna would have been happy to call a volcano her home as long as we were there to accompany her and pet her every so often.

So... any insight into this one?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts