Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:x Ok, This is getting gross. My family has had it with my 14 year old female cat. She is part Simese and tabby. For the last 6 months, She has urinated on clothes that happen to be on the floor in beddrooms. We follow up by cleaning the area with woolite pet stain and deodorizer. She 1st started to pee on nylon packpacks( My kids friends backbacks) now she pees on clothes that are on the floor. No place is safe. I have tried to change cat litter brands but she still pees on clothes. My fear is that she will make this a normal routine. She is a very unsocial cat, meaning she does not like people and will hide the minute she sees a strange face. We only have the one cat so no other cats compette for the cat box. Assuming she does not have a UTI, what else is causing this behavior? Is it age? Does she fear going through the kitty door to the garage where her cat box is located? I do not want to live in one of those hoses that just stinks of pee and I do not want the litter box in the house. Anybody had this problem and resolved it? :x

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I don't blame you for not wanting to deal with cat pee smell. Yuck!

My advice is to switch to an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. Also, a UTI is the most likely cause of the problem. She should be taken to the vet to make sure that she isn't sick.

Barring a UTI, is it at all difficult for her to go out to the garage? Is there anything that would make going to the garage unpleasant? For example, heat, cold, or a flap that may be getting difficult for her to get through? 14 is a ripe old age for a cat and she may be finding normal things getting more and more difficult for her.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our neighbor's 17 year old cat started peeing outside the box because it was too high, too difficult for her to get in. She would pee on newspapers outside the box. Then she found short containers that held just enough litter and she peed in those.

If something in the garage scared your kitty, that may have caused her to not want to go out there as well. I'd make sure it's quiet, the box is accessible, the door is easy to maneuver. But, above all, rule out UTI first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts