Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am the two-day owner of a female tabby and her three one-week old kittens.
She was a rescued "stray" that her finders planned to take to the pound, but met me along the way, and I ended up taking them in.
I wasn't sure what to expect, but I did expect her to be skittish on the first day, and possibly aggressive due to her kittens. Not so.
On the first day, all she wanted to do was explore, and then curl up on the bed with me. She'll leave to go feed and groom her kittens when they start mewing, and when I'm not in the room I'm pretty sure she stays with them, but as soon as I come in, she wants to be with me. I've never known a cat to display so little anxiety, and I was just wondering if this is a fairly normal thing with cats, or if there is some explanation for her "unusual" personality. She displays no fear of objects moving over her head, no fear of noise, or quick movements. All things that I thought cats were often nervous about. She also doesn't care when I handle her kittens. The past two nights she has slept on the bed with me, only going to the next box when the kittens mew.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing something here that could be causing damage to her or her kittens--should I encourage and respond to her friendliness, or leave her alone to encourage her to spend more time alone with her kittens? Will she probably stay this friendlythroughout her kittens growth, or could her behavior suddenly change and become aggressive?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I think she's just very happy you came along to take care of her. She was probably someone's cat that got dumped.

I have no experience with new kittens, but I would call a vet and see when you could take them all in for a wellness check.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
With one-week old kittens, I doubt very much she's in heat. Her behavior is not like a feral, so she was someone's pet, and I would give her as much love and attention as she and you want, especially when she is nursing her kitties. This will tell her how pleased you are she's being such a good momacat. I doubt very much that her behavior will change towards you in a bad way. I think you have rescued a very lovely girl and she's very thankful to you. You should plan to have her spayed when the kittens are weaned and doing well on their own at about 12 weeks, but do not let her outside before then, or she may get bred and have another litter. A cat's gestation period is 63-65 days. You will have to plan what you are going to do about the kittens you have....you may want to keep one as company for momacat--maybe one she favors, and find good homes for the others.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I agree doesn't sound like she was a stray as much as someones pet that got pregnant and dumped. I had one a lot like her as a matter of fact. Years ago I lived in the country and one day a car came by and dumped a very pregnant cat. she came home with me and gave birth a few weeks later. she never showed fear of people, or things. but was grateful for a safe place to be.

I would start screening homes for the kittens now and whatever you do, have them fixed before you send them to new homes. Ask around for low cost or programs that will fund the procedures for strays and ferals. And definitely get mom fixed.

Also on the off chance she was a lost cat.. get her checked for a chip.. once in awhile you actually find one.

As to sleeping with you, as long as the kittens are gaining weight steadily it shouldn't be a problem. You can buy a baby scale or small kitchen scale and weigh them in daily. this will also help them stay used to handling.

·
Banned
74 Posts
This sounds like my cat. She was hanging out at my workplace for a few days, was a kitten who had obviously wandered off from the rest of the litter, but was very friendly - and still is. It didn't take me long to figure out she'd been living in a house somewhere in the area and was used to people, to the point where when I got home and bought a litter box, she already knew how to use it! No training needed at all.

I have a sister who adopted a cat in the same way, and she says that's about the best cat she's ever had. I think maybe a cat knows when it's run into a good situation from a bad one, and doesn't waste the opportunity.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My first impressions to your post was she looked into your eyes and saw good and trusted you immediately.

My second guess is that this isn't her first litter.

Females are funny this way...just ask the youngest child in a family. (Smothers Brothers syndrome).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.