Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
Question for all of you who use WB litter...
I use to use clay litter, I scooped 2 times a day, did spot cleaning in the box for pee marks and would change the litter out completely every other month (I of course added fresh litter once a week to top it off).

When using WB litter, how long do you wait before you do a complete litter box change? I have 2 cats and use a storage tote as there litter box and have noticed after a few weeks that there is a lot of "corn dust" on the bottom of the box. Also I dont know if it's my mind playing with me or not but it seems to not be clumping as well after a few weeks, anyone else have this problem?
Thank you!

·
Premium Member
8,627 Posts
Regina, OMG! All three pictures are to die for!! Love, Love Stella! :D

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
OMG OMG OMG!!! That second pic with those Stella eyes!! <swoons>
I just want to burry my face in the Stella tummy paradise of fur!! oooooooo :)

Thank you for the pictures and "fix", now, can you put her on the first flight to Heathrow? LOL

BACK ON TOPIC...

I don't use World's Best, BUT I use Cat's Best, and where yours is corn bases, mine is plant (wood) based. It is the same product. The feel of the clean litter is soft, almost granules in the size of the litter bits.

I don't do a total clean any more, no point. The litter clumps very well and why would I throw out perfectly good, usable, non smelling litter? I use to, but over time I realized it was kind of silly.

Yes, I get the "dust" situation like you described because the litter starts out so fine.
What I do is rough scoop the "intact" litter bits away from the powder, and take a regular dry food scoop and remove one or two scoops of the powder. Then top up with good litter and start all over again.

When the cats wee against the sides, I go ahead and scoop it up but after, I push the good litter away from the spot and use a "toilet wet wipe" to spot clean the area where the wee clump was.

The powder doesn't seem to clump as well as the regular litter bits, I agree. The best thing to do is to just remove a bunch of the powder. It takes a couple minutes to do. And I end up doing it about once every two or three months.

I have three cats and two of them use the box on a regular basis.

Hope that helps.

Thanks again for the pics of Stella!!! (murmuring to self) ... I love that kitty...

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
OMG those pictures are to die for!!!

Is it just Stella and one box? Things have changed a bit for me now, since I added a 3rd box (and also because physically it's really hard for me to even scoop the boxes much less wash them out). But with 2 cats and 2 boxes, I'd do a full change and wash out the box every 3 or 3 1/2 weeks or so.

Definitely, you get more dust the longer the litter goes unchanged. I don't think I've noticed that the litter clumps less effectively the longer it stays, but that might be because I have the 3rd box, so it stays fresher longer. Or it could just be because I'm not observant. :p I'm going to have to pay more attention.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use World's Best. Yes, I noticed the dust in the box, but I didn't notice its clumping less effectively. I'll try to pay attention. I scoop multiple times a day, but I have two kittens share a single box for now. I change/wash the box every month or so or whenever I notice the smell. I'll try to pay attention.

·
Premium Member
9,137 Posts
I use Worlds Best with kittens. It doesn't last as long as some other litters. Stops clumping and gets a smell i don't like. I change out the litter for all new apx once a week. Luckily kitten boxes are smaller otherwise it would get very expensive.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
what a drag for World's Best!! I'm glad the stuff I use doesn't get "a smell" to it! The only issue I ever really face is the powder bit which I've sorted.
The worst that happens if the litter isn't topped up and my oldest really digs is that she comes out with what I call, "Powder Head", other than that, it keeps on working on odors. Thank goodness!!

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
I didn't care for the film that covered everything with World's Best. I used it for a few years and when I moved and cleaned out the walk in closet it was in every box and item in there was just covered in this brown dingy film I had to wipe off....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My baby girl Tessie is still with me (the cancer hasn't shown it's dirty face lately thankfully) so I actually have 2 cats who share the very large tote litter box. l like the WB but if I have to change it every 3 weeks I may need to find something else...
I'm going to try and sort out the dust and save the "clean litter" and just add new litter to it. I'll see if that works and if I end up not having to change the whole box then woohoo,lol!!
I'm trying to stay away from clay litter for 2 reasons (my allergies and because of Tessie). I want to stay as natural as possibly to keep her healthy for as long as I can.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
You probably wouldn't have to change it completely every 3 weeks if your girls aren't messy. I have one who always makes a mess. She pees against the side of the box and then she sometimes walks in her pee clumps when she tries to cover them (she's blind). Plus, her pee has never clumped as well as my other cat's, although the vet says there's nothing wrong.

All of this means I can't just lift pee clumps out cleanly. There is always some used litter that's broken apart and too small to be scooped, so the clean litter isn't as clean as it could be. And because she always pees against the side of the box, which is plastic, if I don't give it a thorough washing regularly, it will retain the smell of pee.

Lots of scratches and pets for Tessie!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Regina,
I understand completely. I've got breathing issues whenever clay litter is involved!! I use pine pellets with kittens but to be honest the expense is phenomenal with a complete change out every three days. I know that now they have sifter boxes designed with pine pellets in mind and that would help with the expense, I would guess.

I got this stuff I use now, which isn't so very different from WB, at least in basic make up. It has a light woodsy type aroma when it's new and it fades to nothing after a day or two. Even though there is the broken down litter to dust, it isn't a lot and it never seems to cause any breathing issues.
I can understand you wanting to keep things as natural as possible for little Tessie. (she looks so sweet in your signature pic)

When I remove the powder I usually wait til the litter is nice and low. Actually wait an extra day or so it is as low as possible. I find that its much easier to manipulate the litter around the box. The powder seems to work its way to the bottom and the sides, so I do a sort of scraping on the granules to one side then use this old serving spoon as my shovel to scoop out the powder. Scrape granules over to freshly cleaned side and shovel the powder out of the other side. It's only ever really a couple spoons full but makes a big difference when my oldest does her uber digging. Reduces "Powder Head". :D

There are others on here that don't do complete change outs. I was inspired by reading their posts and thought to myself that if I could save the money, way hay, happy days. So, I took the chance and it works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts