Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two kittens have had a number of poop-related problems over the past few weeks: low fiber, Coccidia, and now roundworms. Just one has roundworms and I would like to avoid spreading it to the other. Should I be changing the litter daily until the worms are gone? (Vet called yesterday to let me know about the worms and said I can pick up medicine tomorrow.)

·
Banned
160 Posts
Round worms in feces should not pose a problem unless feces is ingested. Your other kittens should be in no danger from using the same litter box.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'm surprised your vet doesn't want to deworm both of them. It is fairly typical for kittens to have worms and need to be dewormed a couple times.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Round worms in feces should not pose a problem unless feces is ingested. Your other kittens should be in no danger from using the same litter box.
This is not true. If one has them, you can safely assume they both do, and both kittens need to be treated.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scottd and lovetimesfour, it's possible that my vet would like to deworm both even though only one is showing symptoms. They left me a voicemail on Saturday letting me know the stool sample confirmed worms, and I was supposed to pick up dewormer today (Monday) but the vet is closed due to Hurricane Sandy, so I haven't been able to speak with the vet in-person about it yet. When I go over there tomorrow, I will ask if I can treat both cats.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yes I think if one kitten has them, both do, especially if they came from the same place/environment.
Unless the cat has other underlying medical issues, I would automatically deworm any cat who lived outdoors for any length of time, regardless of the results from any test for worms (there can be false negatives).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts