Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i just found 2 little white worms on Teagan.. This poor baby.. like she doesn't have enough going on.

Tierney never had them, so i am not sure what to do. I am going to take her to the shelter vet tomorrow morning, but until then what do i do?.. Can he catch them? What do i need to clean? How do i make sure she is not reinfected? Do i need to get meds for both? Should i bring Tierney too?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I think it's quite possible that both cats will eventually have worms. Were they segments that looked like rice near her anus or did you find them in the feces? Usually, there are two treatments, because at the time of the first treatment, there may be eggs which are not hatched yet. Can you take a stool sample from each cat, or is that impossible? You might not notice round worms. I think the vet will want a stool sample from each, labeled with the name of the cat. Also, note whether the cat is throwing up.

The obvious ones, the segments near the anus, are tape worms. They are treated in a different way. Your vet might want to treat the cats with a preventative for fleas. Call before you go, and describe the situation. Good luck. Don't worry. They should be fine.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are rice looking things i found one on her tail and one in her bedding near her anus. I do not have a stool sample for either at the moment.. but hopfully before tomorrow morning. Neither if them is trhowing up, but Teagan doesn't seem to have much engery.

Tieney is treated for fleas once a month, and teagan will be, but not yet.
I just got her.. Ahh poor baby.. is there anything i can do for her tonight?

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Addison had tapeworms for I don't know how long. I started noticing the rice type things you described, but there were TONS in the hair on his bed, making me think he had them for a while. I went to the vet and brought them in (stuck to a piece of tape) and she told me she was sure that's what it was. I figured it'd be easier not to bring him in if I didn't have to, so he wouldn't get stressed. She gave me some Drontal (dewormer) but I couldn't get him to take it... after paying for two or three doses and throwing them away for various reasons, I bought a cat piller (GREAT $2 investment) and some Tapeworm Tabs. He seems fine now.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, can't get her into the Vet till monday. but we taking both cats and both stool samples. She seems a little constipated.. is this normal? she isn't pooped in like 30 hours... She has peed 2 times since the last poop. She did go in the litter box a little while ago, and meowed alot, and squatted, but nothing.. The vet did give us a pill for the deworming cause she couldn't get in till monday. What should i expect, (My BF picked it up, they didn't give anything to him except instructions, and he of course didn't ask anything) and can i gvie her something for the slight constipation while we are waiting for the dewromer to work?

oh yeah.. she is very playfull and not acting sick at all.. maybe sleeping more than a normal kitten, but always ready to play when awake.. running around and jumping.. the whole 9 yards!

EDIT: Teagan Just pooped about 10 minutes after writing this,, i need to stop being an overprotective mommy.. i just feel so bad for my little babies.. i don't want them to hurt, and they can't tell me what's wrong

Thanks, so much!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts