Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, as many of you know, I have been having problems with Justin and soft stool. Today a tiny bit of his stool seemed soft, the rest was firm. As I was scooping up the soft part, I looked down and saw a small rice sized worm wiggling around in the poop! Augh! Somehow he had two parasite checks that did not find this! How did it not show up before? What kind of worms are these?! What should do about this?
I am somewhat relieved, as I'm hoping that once I get this taken care of, his poop will get back to normal!
I have saved the poop with the worm in it and can save it for either the vet or for the guy at my work (he works in microbiology) to look at.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If it looked like rice, its a tapeworm. They are transmitted by fleas. Both my kitties had them...the vet treated Stix with a shot, when he was about 6mths, and Kota with a pill, she was 3mths. They are fairly easy to get rid of. I know of nothing you can buy over the counter to get rid of them yourself, though. Dont worry, the kitties will be fine once they get treated! :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Most definitely a tapeworm. They don't typically find those in ringworm checks.

One injection from the vet did the trick for Punky. I didn't examine her stool, I saw one on her anus.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Sounds like tapeworm and my dog had this long time ago also. It is quite nasty and does look like a rice pebble. Tapeworms are curable easily so at least thats comforting to know! :wink:

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My roommate found a tapeworm on my cat's anus when she was just a kitten (not long after I got her). A simple phone called to the vet was all that was required for me to pick up a medication for her.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up the meds and it was **** getting Justin to take them. Even with him wrapped up in a towel and using a pill pusher it was really difficult. But it's done now so hopefully the problem is resolved.
I also picked up some Advantage to put on both of them just in case there are any stray fleas. I have seen no fleas on them (and I've looked) but Justin had to have gotten that tapeworm from one. Perhaps I should also spray around my apartment for fleas in case there are some in the carpet?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
If you do make sure it is one that can kill the eggs as i read somewhere the eggs can live in carpets etc etc for up to 7 years until they feel they pitter patter of animals.
If you have any fleas in the house still tho, even after treatment (did the vet say how long the flea stuff last?) because if they bite in that time it will still kill the fleas.
That said regular flea/worm treatment is really a good idea for cats, esp if they go outside. In the uk you can buy stronghold which treats both fleas and worms at the same time.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
mismodliz said:
My roommate found a tapeworm on my cat's anus when she was just a kitten (not long after I got her). A simple phone called to the vet was all that was required for me to pick up a medication for her.
The same thing happened here when we first got Velvet as a kitten. My husband had the pleasure of picking a worm off her rear end. He was thrilled. :roll: I also was able to simply call the vet and get the medicine. It was only one small pill if I recall correctly. Did the trick, no problems since.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Have stool check

I've never seen a tape worm in the stool, moving. What they usually extract are segments of tape worms that look like rice and the segements don't move, as far as I know. Your cat could have rounds or hooks. It would be a good idea to bring a stool sample to the vet to check or else ask for a dose of Strongit from the vet. This will cover hooks and rounds.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He hasn't really had any problems since he got the meds. A couple times his poop has been just the slightest bit soft, but I think that's just the way his poop is. I am giving both of them some regular dewormer soon just to make sure they don't have anything else.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sometimes when the cats first start taking medication, full worms will come out. :shock: I saw some today at the spca. I think I have heard of full worms coming out otherwise, but only in really bad cases.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts