Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night (thank goodness I have a strong stomach) I noticed that Romeo has tapeworms! Gross, but scary. I had Romeo and Gerri together for two days and I am scared that Gerri might have gotten them also. I separated them now until Romeo goes to the vet tomorrow. I feel bad though because he meow's when he cant be out and about with Gerri and me. I do spend a lot of time with him, but have to also go about my everyday things until he gets treatment. The shelter where I adopted Romeo gave me deworming meds but I read that the yellow stuff is for other worms and you have to get special deworming medication for tapeworms. My vet said the same. I hope I am not wasting time and money taking him in if the yellow stuff would work?! And, I hope that Romeo gains weight and his skin isnt as dry when the worms clear up! Argh.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I'm guessing that the meds you're giving are for roundworms. That won't get rid of tape worms. You'll have to get the mediation you need from the vet. Tape worms are a bit tougher. I don't think you will have to make an appointment unless you have doubts, or the vet has doubt. I think she'll let you buy the prescription. (The segments look a bit like cooked rice.)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Tapeworm segments break off and are often seen near the cat's tail. The segments look like soft rice. Most young animals get roundworms regularly, and that medication can be purchased at any grocery or pet store. They can often be seen in the feces, or are indicated by loss of weight, a pot belly, or lack of energy. Tapeworms require a med from the vet. Some worms can be detected only through magnification.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The worm I saw was unusual. It was a 2-3 inch segment coming out as feces but without fecal matter. Romeo had just used the litter box and I guess was trying to pass this worm. Gerri has thrown up twice in the past two days and I dont know if he ate something or what but it worries me. And, I need to know if people can contract them from cats. I also am not feeling great now and have a low grade fever. Its like a sick ward around here. I will ask tomorrow at the vet, but am definitely worried.

·
Registered
672 Posts
They are transmitted by fleas...

The tapeworm eggs are inside of the fleas and then the fleas get on the cat. So when the cat licks himself he ingests the eggs and they can hatch inside the cat. The worm has segments of itself that break off and pass through the cat's body that look like rice. They can move on their own, but sometimes they dry up and they look like flakes. Then the cycle can start over again. If you saw a big long thing that might have been the worm itself, but that doesnt mean there are no more. Both of my kitties had them and it is fairly easy to take care of. I do remember asking my vet if people could get them and he said not unless I eat a flea. So that means no. :D If I got anything wrong about this cycle, Im sorry, I was only trying to type what I remembered from my vet visit...

I hope your kitty gets better, he is a cutie!!! Moby, watch out!

·
Registered
209 Posts
all 3 of mine had a tapeworm infestation a couple months ago. gross! i took them to the vet and they were weighed and they gave me some pills to take home. i also got some flea treatment as to prevent a reinfestation. if your cats have any fleas, you should get some flea treatment too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have another question, can this be avoided by using that Revolution medication monthly? My kitty recently had fleas and I applied Advantage, he seems to be ok now, but now I'm wondering if he might've ingested some of the eggs :(

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
The packaging for Revolution says it's good for fleas and earmites, but doesn't mention anything about tape worms. I would assume from its packaging that it wouldn't work for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So if your cat has tape worms it has to receive a shot from your vet in order to get rid of it? Also people can get it to by accidently swalling a flea?! This makes me a little nervouse as my bed is underneath a window sill where my cats sleep when I sleep. Basicly she is above my head.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It is either a shot or a pill, but yes, it must be gotten from your vet.

From what little I remember about parasitology, the most common cat tapeworm won't grow in people (at least it won't reproduce), but there are some types that can cross-infect different species. So keep those fleas under control!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
How about ringworms- I understand that a not so sure way to tell an animal carries them would be noticing bald patches advancing in a round pattern on their fur. Can anybody show me what it actually looks like ? I have been trying to find at least a few images on the web but had no luck so far. Thanks :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts