Cat Forum banner

Worms

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  AddFran 
#1 ·
Ok. we think my roommates kitten has worms. she just vomited up some orange stuff and it had a really long thin worm in it (as well as the rest of an earplug of mine) well, we think its vomit, it may be poop as she did it in the litter box, but it looks very soft, not like it came out as a solid stool.

ive had my roommate save the wormy bit and bag it for the vet (the kitten will be going tommorow) and i want to know are my two older cats at risk from this? do i need to take any precautions for their health?

also, all the cats are indoors, however the kitten was never dewormed (as far as the roommate knows)

#6 ·
my roommate isn't going to take it to the vet. she is instead taking it (with her bf) to his mother, who breeds dogs and has the deworming shots and other vaccines. however, im going to take my cats to the vet anyway to make sure. they said they cant afford to take it to a vet, thats why it has never been.

#7 ·
It's not a vaccine. It's actually an oral medication.
I hope they know to adjust the dosage properly, as a cat does not get the same dosage as a dog and a kitten may get an even smaller dosage.

Also, it takes more than one dose (i believe 2-3 weeks apart) before you get rid of them.

Since you now have 3 cats in the same house, you should really treat them all at the same time with the same medication, this way they'll all be on the same schedule. If they aren't, you are at risk for them catching it all over again - one of them might be rid of the worms, the other not and then the cycle starts all over again.

Also, Petco has vaccination clinics every weekend at all their stores (they alternate local stores each weekend so you'll have to check their schedules by calling or looking it up online) and you can get it done for $11.00 per does of Strongid and I think $18.00 for drontal I believe.

If your roommate can't afford to have their kitten de-wormed, why did they get it in the first place? I'm sorry, I don't mean to act like I'm suggesting this is your fault. It certainly is not. Deworming is one of the cheapest medical costs you'll endure during the time you own your cat, so I can't imagine why she wouldn't do this the right way. Also, has this kitten even been to the vet yet? It could have other more serious things like FIV, or Feline Leukemia that your cats could catch.

Good luck to you (sincerely) - I've had my share of roommate problems in the past, and this doesn't sound like the start of something positive. Your cats end up having to go the vet because your new roommate is irresponsible and couldn't spend the minimal amount of money to properly care for her kitten. Why should you have to endure these costs for her being irresponsible. Uggh!

I sure hope they have it spayed or neutered!

#8 ·
after speaking with my parents on the phone, they said i can offer to my roommate to take the cat and to the vet, and pay for it myself. they know my heart is already bleeding for the feral kittys outside that i can't take care of (dont have a regular enough schedule nor the resources to feed wild cats) and they agree that it could save us down the line for all the other costs of my cats getting sick from the kitten.

#9 ·
That's awfully nice of your parents to help you do that.
It really is in the best interests of your cats to move forward with that plan. However, it is terribly frustrating and unfair for you to have to carry the financial burden of an irresponsible pet owner/roommate.

Good luck and please let us know how things turn out.

And, we'd love to see pictures of those kitties!

#10 ·
Dog dewormers can be toxic, even fatal, to a cat...so good that your roommate is not going to do that! Too many cats suffer when people try to be their own vet...we didn't go to school for 4 years for nothing! :roll:

Worms are not really contagious between cats; but if one was exposed, they may all have been. Discuss with the vet what kind of worm and what is the risk for the other cats.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.