Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate having to go to work! This morning, Kitty wouldn't come to get brushed. Kitty loves to get brushed and will always come running as soon as I tap the brush. She just sat there staring at me. Finally, she slinked out of the room, ran upstairs and hid under my bed. She walked with that slinking they do when they are scared or nervous, all hunched down low to the ground.

She hid under my bed so I went and pulled her out and looked her over. She didn't appear to have any wounds (I was looking for Thomas bites and claw marks). When I let her go, she went and hid in my CLOSET! She hasn't done that since we first moved into the house. I'm really worried about her. She seemed fine last night when I went to bed. She was eating and drinking fine. So, I left her in my room with the door closed (so Thomas couldn't get in) and her food, water, and litter box. I had to go to work.

So, now I'm at work and worried sick about her. :(

When I get home what should I do? Do you think I should take her to the vet? Or should I wait until tomorrow to see if she is better? It could be that Thomas scared her or hurt her and she just feels bad...I don't know!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmm...well, I just called home. My mom went to check on Kitty. She said Kitty seemed fine. She was sleeping on my bed and was happy to see my mom. So, I'm thinking that it was just Thomas and that she's not sick. I guess I'll have to check for wounds again when I get home. Either way, I'm glad she came out of hiding.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Let us know when you get home for sure. Sometimes what seems "fine" to everyone else, still isn't right to us. You know how you get to know the quirky things they do or how you just know that something isn't quite right (as you knew when she ignored the brush this morning)...you'll probably know best when you get home from work today!

That's not to say that I'm not relieved to hear that your mom thinks she's okay! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm sorry Kitty is acting strangely. I'd definitely keep an eye on her, but fortunately it sounds like she just got a scare of some kind (perhaps Thomas, perhaps something out the window, perhaps she knocked over something that you haven't noticed yet?). Does she have the kind of personality that is traumatized for long? Some of my cats hold grudges and never forget, others can be extremely upset one minute and have forgotten all about it five minutes later.

I think keeping her separate until you are around to watch is a good idea...maybe even give her separate quarters for a few days to watch her water/food intake and see if she's using the litterbox ok (and that the quantities and consistency looks healthy).

I'm hoping it was just a momentary scare.

~Heather

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I got home last night, Thomas was waiting at the door, as always. I came in and Thomas ran upstairs, I followed. By the time I got up there he was sitting at the bedroom door, he saw me and meowed. So I opened the door and Kitty was laying there on the floor all streached out, like she does when she's really relaxed. I petted her for a bit, the she got up. Thomas comes over and rubs his whole body against her head (apparently he missed her). While I was sitting there she got up and left the room. She had eaten the dry food I'd left for her. So I know she's eating.

So, last night she was downstairs with Thomas and me....she seemed fine, maybe a little skittish. But that could be because I kept petting her, pushing on different parts of her body to try to find any sore spots. I thought I found something under her chin, but she started trying to bite me...a little fed up with all the attention.

She didn't seem to want to stay in the bedroom this morning. So, I just left her out. I hope whatever happened she's over it. Thomas can be so hurtful to her. Either way, sorry for the long post. She seems to be okay now, but I'll be keeping a close eye on her for the next couple of days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts