Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
shes about 12 to 13 years old. im terrified that this is Melanosis . we got her as a rescue when she was 6. she had a vet checkup back in february and had the all clear. lookeing at past photos shes had rings there a few years ago but i think fainter. shes half british shorthair and half tabby if i recall what we were told.

she started acting off a about 2 weeks ago during strong winds outside, she seemed scared of me when i walk up to her, and has been randomly like that since. yesterday she was all soppy with me, but on an overcast day shes wary. she normally trots up to me in the garden when i get in from work or stands still indoors and lets me pet her but has been unusually more nervous. im concerned its her eyes, maybe she had trouble recognizing me as much due to a possible eye issue. shes eating well still, and runs up the fence into the neighbors garden or up our apple tree, and dashes across the garden and into the house though the cat flap after doing her toilet in the garden which shes always done from day 1. She also uses a litter tray if the weather is bad normally but has not used that in a while. shes my furbaby and i get very worried. she came into my life when i lost my father and has helped me though
many things in life. shes always been a little nervous. but not to me usually.

pics from a week ago

Attachments

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
It almost sounds like something happened in your yard on that windy day.....like a big branch falling out of a tree near her that spooked her? perhaps a trespasser?. The fact that she acts "wary" or spooky when it's overcast, she may associate with that windy day. It may not have anything to do with her eyes, as she seems "normal" at other times. Why she would act "scared of me when I walk up to her" ..... is somewhat puzzling. If you speak to her when you're walking towards her does she respond by meowing and/or coming towards you? She is starting to get elderly; some cats do get dementia, and may not recognize their owner at times, or start howling in a empty room and seemingly can't find the way out. These are some suggestions of what might be going on, your vet could tell you if there's been a change with her eyes. Give us an update.....all the best for your beautiful girl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, she she is going to the vets tonight after i finish work. been hard to focus. i have lots of floaters in my eyes so eye issues frighten me. and im terrified for my girl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so the day after my original post she was taken to the vets and had bloods done and came back as having an overactive thyroid, was given a rating score of 64 which i know is bad. she was prescribed Vidalta, its been tough for her to accept it, hiding it in all manner of pill pounches and other cat treats. but she seemed fine on it, then over night at 1.30 am i woke to hear her puking, was was in my room puking up foam but had been very sick downstairs in the living room. i have had to go to my stressful work worrying about her, my mums been around keeping an eye on her and changing her water bowls regularly. shes been drinking water still but is a shadow of herself from even yesterday where she was climbing the neighbors fence and had an appetite. we didnt give her anymore Vidalta today. she still regularly puking up foam. and laying low to the ground all mopy. very very very worried, shes booked in for the vet tomorrow morning im so scared about losing her before. i adore her.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Thanks for the update, glad to her that she got a diagnosis that explains her strange behavior. Hope she is OK soon and going to see the vet.....she may have eaten something outside that upset her stomach?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so since thursday night she had been to the vets 3 times, twice on the friday (am then late pm) and then sat morning. friday mornign she was waken to the vets had a blood test all looked fine except pottasium levels. she was given a nutrient paste and fluids and an anti sickness injection. was told she should get better in 4-6 hours. 7 hours later she had no changes, was now drooling lots and had done a stool which looked bloody but turned out to be bile she still wasnt drinking and was still hiding and not moving. we took her back friday late pm, she had more fluids given. were told if no improvement bring her in saturday. Saturday morning, still no changes. Still drooling and hiding, hardly moving. But she was purring when i stroked her, before since wed she wouldnt even purr. Saturday at 12 took her back to the vet, she was given a steroid injection and had her blood pressure taken, which is 140. The same afternoon when back home we start seeing her pick up and walk a bit, started to drink her water then later ate some of her royal old age canin food. today shes been pretty active, head up all the time, purring, rubbing against everything, using the cat scratch post, eating her wet food, drinking and purring as well as enjoying her chin scratches and brushes. no more drooling. shes been for 2 wees since last night that we saw, not sure about poos yet. she hopped over a gap in the garden just now. and is standing up.

below is a pic of her from today. shes had no vidalta since wed morning. I also attache pics of her prescriptions up to now and her blood test from friday pm. im pretty concerned about comments on the cat thyroid forum, im a little scared as they are saying maybe our vets isnt knowledgeable enough and she should have been given anti acid drugs not the steroid, and should of been given pottasium. what people opinions? thanks in advance
we have used the same vets since having cats in the 90s, the current vets owns the practice and we have always had him treat sofina, he has cats himself and seems to know cats. Sofina often seems at ease with him too when we have been in with her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts