Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

It's been about a year and a half since my last post, but I've lurked and looked and learned weekly since then. I have an issue (warning: explicit description below).

A few months ago I started noticing that one of my (now) 4 cats had diarhea, though I couldn't figure out who and it would go away for a couple weeks and come back.

I found out who, yesterday, when my Moose decided the litter box was too far away. I don't know if he lost control or couldn't wait, but he went. His feces looked loosely formed and had a single streak of bright red blood through it. When I cleaned it up, there was no form to it at all.

So I checked his stomach and tried to see if I could feel any knots or back-ups; nothing. No reaction. I checked to make sure he was hydrated, gums bright pink, etc. and when I reached his tailbone to check if he was losing weight, he shrunk away from me and left. His tailbone drives him nuts.

Otherwise, he's normal. He runs and bounces, jumps and climbs, plays and cuddles like nothing is wrong. I'm working on changing his food back to an older brand (similar time frame from when I switched foods), I have an appointment with my vet buts its not for almost 2 weeks. I raised him from a 1 week old kitten. He's always been the one with strange quirks and he's always had strange pains. My other three cats absolutely love a firm massage (My siamese loves it the harder you rub his shoulders), but he always shyed away.

I don't know if it's significant, but he's never meowed. He... chortles. He coos, he makes shivering noises but he's never actually meowed.

My other cats have no symptoms. My cats are 100% indoors, are on kibble ( I know, I know >.< ) and 1 tin of wet food each a week, with the occasional raw wad of steak, buffalo or deer meet.

As much as he's like himself, I'm worried that its a colon issue or something huge like cancer or some such. My vet suggested the food change and just to keep an eye on him until the appointment to make sure nothing continues to get worse; if it does, an emergency drop in is in order.

Has anyone had an experience like this or know of someone who has? Even if it was worst case scenario, what did it turn out to be? What else can I do while I wait for the vet appointment?

Thanks so much, you guys were so great helping me raise the kittens.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi, Sweetened. I recommend to take stool sample to the vet and let them examine in case he has something. I know that it is unlikely that he will have worms because Moose is 100% indoor and other cats seem to be fine. HOwever, there is a chance he has bacteria growing.

One of my cats (Tora) has similar issue now as Moose. I adopted him from outside in the middle of February. I noticed that his stool is not formed and looks like canned pumpkin, not like tootsie roll or logs that other two cats do. I took his stool sample to the vet and they found Roundworm. He got dewormer, Profender, applied. Then, I noticed that he was bleeding as well. Or, maybe he was already bleeding before applying dewormer? I am not sure. The vet said that sometimes they tend to bleed when worms detach from their stomach or intestense. I was hoping that his loose stool will resolve after the dewormer but I am still struggling over a month now. He tried plain yorgurt, antibiotic med (Metronidazole) in case of bacteria infection, probiotic (Proviable), canned pumpkin. Nothing is working. Now I am trying to change his diet to grain free, hypoallergenic, etc. If diet changes do not work, the vet is recommending Panacur, which is another dewormer and also used for treating diarrhea.

It seems that stool sample tells a lot. I think it is a great concern if there is blood in loose stool. It is better to be safe than being sorry :) Keep us posted and have a good day!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
****UPDATE****

His symptoms and behavior stopped about 5 days ago. I took him to the vet and they found nothing, no worms, no illness, no broken bones. It's so strange. She offered to put him on a string of antibiotics and dewormer, but I opted not to (I won't take antibiotics myself, let alone if I'm not that sick, I wouldn't expect him to do the same). So I'm watching him closely as well as the other cats. Thanks to those who replied for me, it really helped when I went to the vet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sweetened:
Thank you for update! I am very happy to hear such a good news :) It is good to keep eye on him as you do. Sorry for not being able to be your help, but I am glad that he feels better. Hugs and kisses to Moose :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts