Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my hens, Treacle is not well, and I'm worried about her. As a hybrid hen she is only supposed the last about three and a half years, and she is almost that. She has been drinking what seems like gallons of water and looked disinterested when I threw some toast crusts into their area (she normally goes INSANE when I do that), and her comb (the red sticking up part of their heads) is a little floppy, when it is supposed to be sticking up straight.
Very worried :(

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Is there an agricultural college anywhere near you? That might be the only place that would know about chicken physiology and illnesses. A few years ago, my pet chicken Crystal became ill; I finally found a local vet who would x-ray her and he found that she had swallowed a safety pin and some needles. I ended up taking her to the state university veterinary college, where she had a laproscopic procedure and eventual abdominal surgery. Even at the veterinary school, it was the first time they had done the procedures and surgery on a hen! A year later, my next pet chicken Sheila Marie started limping and I took her to the same local vet. He found that she had arthritis and a hairline fracture of her hip. I had to give her injections for pain every day.

I hope you can find help for Treacle. Chickens are wonderful pets.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I hope she feels better soon! But, yes I agree. Here in Ontario, I would have taken her to the veterinary college in Guelph. It's better to leave it up to the professionals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts