Cat Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats happening here is, the winter this year was not cold enough for long enough to kill anything off. the people and the pets are having a harder time this year. Actually my vet said that this year has been the worst hes seen in i think 15 years.

But i would feel much better about trying feliway than about keeping Boo on rounds of steriods for who knows how long...

my thought process was that if it relaxes her/them... she may not care as much about licking herself??

( I have considered the cone but it will be an absolute last resort.)

Anyone have any wacky home remedies theyve tried, particularly hot spots which i believe is what she has? I read something online about using a concentrated epsom salt solution, but just to make sure she doesnt drink any. Ive also read apple cider vinegar but i never knew if that was meant for on the sores, or used orally, or how much. anything else i can try?

Shes been to the vet twice, been given the steroids by pill, i think 4 rounds total plus a shot... it helps only until shes weaning off of it.

Theres been no change in the house or diet, or basic litter type. i do change brands sometimes (depending what store im at and what they have) but its always the unscented clumping.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
Feliway is used for calming, it won't do a thing for allergies. Now, if you think the hot spots are stress related, then Feliway might be a solution.

·
Registered
8,949 Posts
If she's grooming because of an allergy then I don't see how a calming agent would work. I would think if it's allergies it makes her itch and that's why she overgrooms.

If she's over grooming because of stress or anxiety of some sort then Feliway MIGHT work.

(Which is just what Doodlebug said, I guess.) :p

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So assuming its not anxiety, what would work? Besides the stuff from the vet that only worked until she was off of it. Benadryl? applied onto it, if not orally? hydrocortizone?

The epsom salt thing i read about?

we bought this spray stuff from petsmart which seems to work, for a bit. but we havent been wanting to spray it continuously onto her because shes scared of it, and will begin to be scared of us if thats all we do to her. She already questions getting picked up now from doing it once a day.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
You can give her 1/2 tab of normal Clarita or zyrtec. Jitzu has been getting this daily (with approval from my vet!) For the past month. For her it helps clear up the congestion in her sinuses caused by her herpes, not allergies. But it is safe and could definitely help your kitty deal with allergies.

I would suggest giving your vet a call first, just for your own peace of mind. I got the suggestion from a Yahoo group for herpes cats, and checked it with my vet just to be sure first. It's helping quite a lot!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just called the vet to ask, had to leave a message. I just dont know if its the best choice because it seems to be itchy. i wonder if it would help with that for a cat??

may have to ask about benadryl. I just didnt want to have her all dozey if i didnt have to.

·
Premium Member
18,372 Posts
I take Claritan for allergies and it helps my itchies. Zyrtec may make her drowsy too, it did for me. I had to take it at night or I'd be falling asleep around 3 every day.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I take Claritan for allergies and it helps my itchies. Zyrtec may make her drowsy too, it did for me. I had to take it at night or I'd be falling asleep around 3 every day.
Oh thats good to know!! I take claritin myself sometimes, but mine is more of a sinusey hayfever type thing, never get the itchies myself. So if it helps with both thats good to know!

I will try the claritin before the zyrtec.

Im just curious if hes gonna want tosee her before just ok-ing my trying it. i kind of hope not moneywise but i have a feeling he will

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So an update. spoke to the vet, and actually for her size, he recommended the claritin but at 1 quarter piill, not half. But i do remember him saying in the states they can come in 5mg, but here they only come 10mg, so a quarter of that is about 2.5, same as half if a 5mg.

for her size though he did actually say an eighth would be even better, but then your looking at crumbs so he okayed the quarter pill. He didnt sound too too optimistic about the idea, but he did say it was definately worth a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.