Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A cat I've been fostering for a while has been diagnosed with what is probably severe allergies. At this point, we've no idea what they might be. He's currently taking an oral steroid, and he's going to start on a hypoallergenic diet for 12 weeks. He'll also be getting Revolution Plus, monthly, in case Demodex is contributing to his skin issues.

The vet suggested Purina HA, Science Diet z/d or Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein. Anyone want to recommend one of these over the others?

If it's not a food or a mite problem, he may be a good candidate for immunotherapy since he's still very young. I found some old posts here about it; is anyone here now with a cat who's gone through this recently? I'm wondering how long the process takes, the frequency of visits to the vet, approximate costs, was it successful, any regrets, etc.

Thanks in advance,
catsinthegarden

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
I don't know anything about this matter. I've searched sites on this subject, but the advice and recommendations are so varied, it's hard to say what's good or bad, or even the cost or risks. Wish I could be of more help, but this cute little guy is lucky to have someone trying so hard on his behalf.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Marie. We're going to do the diet thing first to see if we can rule out food allergies, and go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts