Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The brooklyn shelter has a 3 legged kitty that I believe it's going to be hard to adopt. I cannot take another cat but I'm affaid that if he doens't get adopted they will put him to sleep so I asked them to put a note on their computer that if they give up on his adoption, they can call me and I will take him.
My girlfriend has some restrictions to adopt him because she believes is going to be hard to explain to our baby someday about the cat and is going to confuse him. Kinda of harsh reality to explain to a kid.

Any takes on this? This is she, althought they don't show his birth defect.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action ... ow=0&tmpl=

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
I think this would be an awesome opportunity to teach your child about tolerance and also about kindness to animals. I personally don't think it would be hard to explain to a kid. I actually think if the child was growing up with the animal, that your son would not question that there was anything wrong with the cat, but rather accept it. (like if one of your parents is in a wheelchair, you wouldn't really be confused about it, it would just be a fact of life). I say go for it, you would be doing a great service to this poor cat. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Did you make it up??? Why wouldn't they mention that she has 3 legs only???

The same like you told me that this picture was taken by you?:

You just said you don't have enough money to heal your new cat and you want to take one more??? What about your first cat? I hope she is not depressed anymore......

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My friend Lisa had a three-legged cat. They get around just fine. Nothing to worry about, really. If your baby grows up with it, chances are he or she won't think anything of it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sentimentalgirl, this picture was taken by my girlfriend before I met her.

The first cat is fine. We found out he was a stray and was on the street for a long long time before they took him to a shelter and my girlfriend adopted him.

You are right, I can't take a third cat but not because of money. What happened now is an emergency and having healthy cats won't add too much on our expenses. I can't take her but I would to spare her from being put to sleep, since it's a kill shelter.

I'm waiting on my kitten's blood works results now and let's see what happens. ****, I'm so depressed with all this. The first vet said it she was bubling from her mouth because of a possible respiratory infection but the private vet said it's from pain. Whatever, I could really punch the city vet. When I took her there they took her to the back and returned within 5 minutes. whatever, i'm getting too tense waiting for the blood work.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
You know the FIP kitten should be isolated, don't you? I'm sure you know that kitten picture has appeared all over the internet. I hope this is not supposed to be humorous, because many people have tried to help you. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but once bitten, twice shy.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jeanie said:
You know the FIP kitten should be isolated, don't you? I'm sure you know that kitten picture has appeared all over the internet. I hope this is not supposed to be humorous, because many people have tried to help you. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but once bitten, twice shy.
What is humorous? Sorry, I'm a little ... confused today.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
there is NOTHING wrong with having a 3 legged pet! My kitty at my grandmas had to have a leg removed, and he gets along just fine and temperment hasnt changed at all..! Kitty will be hard to adopt out, yes, but s/he will be as any other kitty, just without a leg!

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Jeanie's made a very good point that I think many people will skip right over. Theboyfriend1 and lsysdev are in the middle of adopting a FIP positive kitten. A FIP positive kitten should not live with other cats. The risk of transmitting the disease is too great.

As I understand it, theboyfriend and lsysdev already have a cat at home (a bobtail if I remember correctly). While it isn't a problem to adopt a three-legged cat in and of itself, or even have the three-legged cat with your first cat, the FIP positive cat will pose a significant problem.

I think theboyfriend and lsysdev have a difficult decision to make regarding which cat they will keep.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I have to admit I don't trust you. I don't believe any shelter would be as you have described yours, and I don't believe they would okay your adoption of another cat, and keeping your first cat, when adopting an FIP positive kitten. I don't believe that your vet wouldn't have had something to say about it. Maybe it's true and just really sad. I don't believe you about the stick up picture -- I've seen that all over and if your girlfriend owns that gun at such a young age I'm apalled. I don't believe your ignorance about serious diseases and keeping cats together. And most of all, I don't believe you could possibly care about cats after all you've said here in the past, as well as your current proposals. I think you'd have to start over somewhere else in order to get trust - I for one don't know if I believe anything you say at all. I am sorry to anyone who reads this and thinks I'm being insensitive. Your track record is pretty bad here. Mockery of this place, the people here, and the fact that anyone would treat a cat with respect is all in your past. Excuse me if I have a hard time believing you suddenly care, and aren't just having fun at the expense of the kind-hearted people here who care about your animals more than you.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Forjazz, I really didn't come here seeking for anybody's approval, least yours. I came because my new kitty has a problem and I was looking for a solution. All you had to add instead of help was.. well, people can read.

My girlfriend is also a police officer and the fact that we both own guns does not make us less considerate for life. While you were sitting confortably in front of your tv set as the US was crumbling, she was running for her life in the WTC while performing her duty. I have nothing to add to you except that if you can't tolerate coexistence at least on a website, I should be apalled.

As for something positive, she is back home and still under observation and antibiotics which she will still take for 14 days. I want to thank everyone for their positive thoughts and we'll try to take a picture so you can meet her.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You are such a liar! I have nothing else to tell you... Suddenly your wife is a police officer! Next time you gonna tell us that you work for CIA, right? Or are you the president of USA? :D

that's my last comment to you and your girlfriend...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ForJazz
couple of things I'd like to clarify here....first of all, shelters here do not test for FIP, reason being, it would cost them too much money and secondly, a big % of the cats there have it. Which is something I just learned these past few days from my private vet. When I desperately called the shelter yesterday asking them to pay for the fip test, i was denied. if you don't "believe", call them and find out for yourself.

Another thing I'd like to point out is that although fip is highly contagious among cats, there's a vaccine that when administered properly, makes it perfectly safe for cats to live under the same household. if you don't believe that as well, again, call a vet and ask.

Now about your personal attacks on my boyfriend, he ran around for cookie way more then I expected. When we first brought her home from the shelter and did not know what was happening to the kittie, he spent the entire night up caring for the poor thing. The staff at ther shelter as well as the vet's office all made compliments in our efforts and said that most people would not have gone through what we did. Now I don't want a medal, just want my kittie to have a healthy life.

I also do not understand your comment about me being too young to carry a gun. I don't even know how that came in the first place or how my job in law enforcement is any relative to this forum. And if you don't believe that as well, i'm sorry but i am not about to post my shield number on a forum.
With all that being said, hasta la vista!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Police officers don't use chrome 45's.

Also, that picture is photoshopped. The angle that the cat is looking is wrong compared to the placement of the gun, and the shadows are off. I don't understand why you would create a lie about an internet picture. It makes everything posted by you two hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
On the subject of a 3 legged cat, a girlfriend of my many years ago adopted a kitten that lost one of its back legs on a farm, I don't remember exactly how it happened.

Anyways, as sad as it was to see her missing a leg, it was so cute when she would run forward but she would move in a diagonal direction.

Boyfriend1, I kind of thought it was ironic that you put down some of the forum members by referring to their dedication as "loneliness", and then you return asking for help from these same people. We're all friends here and it doesn't sit well when one is taking cheap shots at another. Please be careful what you say. Some of your remarks were unjustified.

I hope everything works out well with your cats.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Juli said:
Police officers don't use chrome 45's.

Also, that picture is photoshopped. The angle that the cat is looking is wrong compared to the placement of the gun, and the shadows are off. I don't understand why you would create a lie about an internet picture. It makes everything posted by you two hard to believe.
Juli, this is a 9 mm SW. Try this: http://www.usagunsales.com/Merchant2/me ... gory_Code=

Hey, I don't have to prove anything. I couldn't care less. Get some more information from LEO before posting.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Well - I dunno if this post is serious or not, it's hard to tell at times.

So, everyone please note the following:

A.) Three legged cats are fine to adobt, and are able. It wouldn't be cruel to have one around a kid - they kid would just learn that stuff earlier in life.

B.) Taking in a cat with a spreadable disease is not a good idea when you have other cats. Your other cats could get it, and what if one escapes somehow?

C.) There is such a thing a manners - please use them. When a person questions your actions, please explain and do not add little comments that enrage and continue arguements.

D.) If you have come onto the site and are taken harshly (and no longer want to be), you have to be courteous and apologetic for your previous actions. And not continue snarky attitudes. Because it's hard to win people over, even if you do apologize. Some people may continue to be angry over things in the past, but the way to win them over is to not respond back with an equally negetive comment.

E.) The Boyfriend - I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, nor am I on a witchhunt. But the picture you claim to have been taken by you or your girlfriend seems odd to me. Because (having worked as a graphic artist and have done photo manipulation) this picture looks like an obvious "photoshop" to me. Meaning - the gun and hand were superimposed on the image of the cat. Part of my reasoning is that the gun part of the pic has a different contrast than the rest of the image, it seems a bit fuzzier, and the shadows are different than the rest of the picture. Not to mention that this picture has been around as long as I can remember being on computers.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Your words speak for themselves -- and in this case it's not a good message. Leave me out of it -- I didn't "attack" anyone. theboyfriend did that. I'd like to point out that I have a right not to trust you, and so does anyone else here that chooses, and your objections to that fact are invalid. Your track record here stinks. Good luck with your cats -- but don't bite the hand and then expect it to feed you. You insulted, generalized, labeled, and belittled everyone on this forum without knowing them, and now you want trust. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.