Cat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Would I clone Sabby? Nope.

I think he's beautiful and I love him very much, but I wouldn't clone him. When he's gone I will find another beautiful cat with a loving personality and get to know and love him or her.

G

·
0 Posts
I strongly disagree with the idea of cloning anything. I love my animals and I will miss them dearly when they depart. However, when they should pass I will adopt another homeless animal. There are too many animals that are unwanted to clone the ones we've got. *steps off soapbox*

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
I also think that they are far to many homeless animals to worry about making a clone of your current pet for your own selfish sake. Sure, I love my cat, but when his time is up, I don't want to have him back again and again and again. Its a nice thought and all, but there are so many wonderful animals out there to share your life with.

Plus, who has $50,000 laying around?

·
Registered
560 Posts
First off - I love my pet - and would never clone him... but $50,000?!?!?! I'd rather buy a few cats and make their lives happy - and donate the rest to charity if I had that much money to throw around. *walks away mumbling* 8O $50,000... I wish I had that much money hehe...

·
Registered
696 Posts
As much as I love Cleveland I wouldn't clone him. There are so many little things that make my cat special and they would never be repeatable. When Cleveland leaves me (many, many years from now I hope) I don't think his space will ever be filled. I no doubt will have more cats but I think each kitty has its own special personality that can never be replaced.
P.S I'm not meaning people get another cat to 'replace' their departed kitty but get one because they love cats and miss a kitty presence. Don't thinkI'm explaining myself very well :oops:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
No, As gorgeous and as lovely as Dylan is - I couldn't! Why would I want two of Dylan when I can get a big ginger tabby Maine coon or a birman, or some equally gorgeous creature with a different personality? No offense to my baby but it'd get boring

Hayley x

·
Registered
107 Posts
“This vindicates the opposition we espoused from the beginning, that cloning does not lead to duplication,” said Pacelle, senior vice president of the Humane Society of the United States.

“Not only does cloning not produce a physical duplicate, but it can never reproduce the behavior or personality of a cat that you want to keep around. There are millions of cats in shelters and with rescue groups that need homes, and the last thing we need is a new production strategy for cats.”
This makes me think of the movie "Multiplicity" with Michael Keaton. I wouldn't want to shell out $50,000 and then find out that the clone has a totally different personality....or worse!

I think this cloning thing is probably something someone would be interested in doing it for money. Take a perfect cat (whatever that might be) and clone them....might bring in big bucks for some sick person. Although I don't know anyone who can pay umpteen dollars for an animal. So, maybe I'm on the wrong track?

Besides, I agree....there are too many homeless cats/kittens that need a good home. They ought to can this project!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I think cloning is a bad idea no matter what the case is.
I'm glad that we've become so advanced that we have the scientific research and ability to be able to do some thing of this magnitude. I only wish they'd use all of this ability to do other things that don't invade the process of natural evoluation. It just doesn't seem right that we can essentially "make" another living creative in a laboratory.

Creepy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine are one of a kind and that's how I'd like to continue thinking of them!
Ones that have passed on bring beautiful memories. Brought up under different situations as we ourselves age - they really wouldn't be the same anyway if environment shapes personalities.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I would not clone any pet of mine - all I'd end up with was a cat that LOOKED like my dead cat, but it wouldn't act the same. Personality and temperament is shaped by experience - it's impossible to duplicate that and expect to get the same kitty.

If I could have my Norville back - I'd do anything. But cloning will not accomplish that. If I ever want another long haired black cat, there are a whole lot of them in shelters - and I'd save $49,925.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I don't see the reason to clone. You only clone the cells so it get the same genes as the previous cat. OK, it'll look the same (maybe) but nothing can guarantee it'll have the same personality. At that time you brought up your cat you were in one place in life, so you might end up with a different cat anyway. And what if the cat died of a disease then there's a big chance the cloned cat would have the same.

So, no I would never clone any pet, person or even FOOD (yes they clone food).

I believe in individuality and every person, animal, etc are all individuals and unique.

·
Registered
102 Posts
No. Mammers is the way he is because of what he experienced as a kitten. There is no way to make a clone turn out to be the "same" as the original. And it would be too painful, I think, to have a cat that looked exactly like him but who acted different.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Send the 50 grand to the nearest shelter. If you wanted a replica I'm sure you could give them a pic of your cat and they could find a kitten that looked pretty darn close. And what does it matter if cloning doesn't really produce a clone. Craziness I tell ya!
But really, it just seems like such a gross waste of money when there are so many animals without homes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts