Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a bit of a dilema here-meet Haunani

Isn't she pretty? She belongs to one of my neighbors that is down on her luck and is moving back to Hawaii where her family is, but she can't afford to take her animals with her(she has 2 dogs and a horse also). She was going to get Haunani spayed, but the day the discount clinic was in town, Haunani snuck out and disappered for a couple of hours, and she couldn't afford to get her spayed until the next time the discount clinic came around-problem is when she snuck out she obviously found a tom cat. She snuck out on the 17th of last month, so she's still got a while before delivery-but here's the big question, should I try to find someone to take her while she's pregnant, or talk her owner into keeping her until she has to leave, and then taking her in myself until the kittens are born and weaned. What would you do? Should I rehome this cat prenant(of course I'd make sure anyone interested in adopting her knew that) or should I wait until the kittens are born and weaned?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
If you can find a responsible person who really cares about cats, it might be best if she's settled in before the kittens are born. It's a coin toss, really. What would you prefer to do?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I'm moving towards the end of July, and would prefere not to have to deal with finding a home for any of these animals-but I'm a sucker, and I hate to see these animals go to the pound. Besides, these animals are already attached to me, especially the little dog, Makana, so I'm going to do everything I can to prevent them from going to the shelter, so if that means taking care of a momma cat and her kittens while I'm preparing to move, so be it. I'll do what ever it takes to keep them all out of the shelter, since the shelter here is VERY high kill, and I know for a fact that if they know Haunani is pregnant they won't even put her up for adoption, since I use to work there, so I know thier policies(basically, they don't want to keep a cat for 2 months while it nurses kittens). I'll have to see if I can even find anyone that will be willing to adopt her-the biggest thing I'm really worried about is letting them go to homes where I'm not sure if the people will get them fixed. There's enough homeless animals in this world already, but since I'm not a licensed rescue, I really can't write a legally binding contract that says they must have the animal spayed before I let them take it. I think that's the biggest delima I'm facing here.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Well, she'd certainly feel most comfortable with you. It would probably be easier to find homes for kittens than a pregnant cat. At least you could screen and advise the potential kitten buyers. It's a real problem, I know. Go where your heart tells you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I notice you live in Utah. Can you find a no-kill shelter in your area ? Perhaps it might take some driving to get there- provided you do not find a responsible care-taker before you move away. She is such a pretty Tortie, and who know what her kitties may look like.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A pregnant female shouldn't be exposed to more stress than necessary. If the owner can't keep her until she's given birth and weaned the kittens she should be rehomed as soon as possible. The most important thing is that she feels safe when she's about to give birth. The best thing would be to rehome her to a home where there are no other pets than her. Other pets can cause stress and stress can cause her to abort the kittens.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think it's interesting to see a cat give birth and see those cute little kittens. If it were me I would keep him. I have experienced this once and I didn't even know the cat was pregnant. I woke up one morning and saw all the kittens born. She will clean them up herself so you don't have to worry about that.
I didn't have to bring my kittens to a shelter. I kept one, gave one to my Mom and brought the rest to a pet store. When I got my cat, kittens were in high demand. I'm sure they still are depending on where you live. You can also put an ad in the paper.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I would never sell or give my kittens to a pet store. I don't think they should be selling cats or dogs at all. The employees just don't have the time to play with them or exercise them as they should, even if they're animal lovers. The quality of care they receive would depend on the manager, whose job it is to keep expenses to a minimum and make as much money as possible.

You have to be very cautious about newspaper ads. It's necessary to charge enough to discourage people who are acquiring kittens and pups to sell for chemical research. Of course, Gracie knows this. She cares for strays and ferals all the time.

The question is where the kittens should be born. The mother knows Gracie very well, so she would feel very comfortable with her. On the other hand, if she decides to rehome it, it will have to be soon, because Mother cat would have to get settled in, as Sol said.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou for your opinions. The owner is hoping to move within 3 months, and she's willing to keep Haunani until she moves.

Yes, I'm well aware of the dangers of newpaper advertising and I also would never give a cat to a pet shop-Pet shops incourage inpulse buying, and I want these cats to go to good homes with someone that really wants them and understands that this cat is a commitment possibly for the next 15-20 years, not just until the fun of having a new pet wears off. I usually adopt my cats out for around $50. That covers thier spay/neuter and shots generally, and is enough that it discourages impulse buyers a bit and makes someone thing before handing over that much money for a cat. They offer discount clinics here that only charge $25/cat for female cats, or $15 for a male-or $85 for a mom and all her kittens(although it really depends on how many kittens she has if it's worth it to go with this plan). I think the owner will help me cover the cost of getting the cats altered. Right now Haunani is residing in my bathroom away from all other cats so she isn't overly stressed. I've seen birth many times in the time I've been rescuing stray and feral cats, and I've rescued a couple of pregnant cats that where due to be euthanized for that reason from local shelters(yes, they do euthanize animals just because they're pregnant), so I'm experianced with helping a cat through the birth process. There are only 2 no kill shelters, and I'm leary of both of them because they push quantity adoptions vs quality. Sure, these animals need homes as fast as possible, but when you get so many returned or turned back into shelters you're really doing the animals no favor. Neither of them even do a quick home check or an interview to make sure they know what they're getting into, both are musts in my opinion. When I place an animal I want to know that it's going to have a loving home for the rest of it's life unless something tragic happens. There are a few good reasons to give up an animal, but not many.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Reading this, I'd say that you probably have more experience with this sort of situation than a lot of people here. You're a wonderful cat owner, and your experience with pregnancies and kittens and ferals is what's going to help you make the best decision here. I bet if it were someone else's thread, you'd have the best advice for them. It's just a little more difficult to give yourself advice. ;)

I have a question for you, though -- and this is just out of curiousity. Are you going to transport all your ferals when you move in 3 months? That has to be a really hard job. Is that what you plan on doing? If so, how? I don't know what I'd do.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I'm leaving the ferals here. I'm currently living with my mother, and she's going to take care of the feral cats here for a while. She's been getting the cats use to her taking care of them for a few months now. I hate to leave them, but I'll be moving into either a small trailer or an apartment for a while, and I just won't have room for the cats. The only animal that's going with me is my dog for now, I can't even take my ferrets because I can't find a ferret savy vet in the area and I don't want to take any risks with them. Eventually I hope to get enough land to get a small sanctuary set up for the ferals, and then I'll move all my feral cats to the sanctuary, but that's a far off dream at the time being. It'll probably be 3 or 4 years before I can afford to buy the land to create the sanctuary for these cats.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Gracie, you are reallly conscientious! I wish more people were like you. You're so wise to charge for the kittens and to question people. When I got my first collie I got the third degree, and I have given the third degree to any prospective ownes of my kittens or pups. I don't breed either any more, but every good cat owner should be as conscientious as you! We often take in strays-not realizing they are pregnant. You have a great plan thet everyone can learn from!

I hope your dream comes true. :) I'm so sorry you can't take the animals with you. That must be heartbreaking.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is going to be hard for me to leave most of my animals at home for the time being-especially my ferrets and Gracie, but I feel it's best for them for now. They don't need the stress of being bounced around until I know where I'm going to settle permanatly. Yes, Gracie will be staying with my mom at least until I'm settled. My dog is a little on the energetic side, and even though Gracie and Kristi get along most of the time, if they're in close quarters Gracie gets a little upset at Kristi, so alot depends on if I can find a trailer where I can give Gracie her own room so she can excape if she wants to, or if I'm going to be stuck in a tiny apartment with barely enough room to move. If I get into a trailer, I'll probably move Gracie in with me eventually-if not, the apartment I found where I'm moving to doesn't allow cats if they're not declawed anyway, and there's no way I'm going to have any of my cats declawed!!!!!!! Gracie would just have to stay here with my parents until I'm ready to take her again. I just want what's best for all the animals, even if it means leaving them behind until I'm settled permanantly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts