Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have not posted a a few months as we added a new Great Dane to the family and life has been hectic!
However, Ashley one of my himmy's, who we have been battling skin issues her whole life I think partly b/c she is an obsessive compulsive licker, 3 vets nothing definitive on why. Normally she will lick the skin off a spot I can clean it, cover it for a few days and it's on the way to healing. However, she has a wound on her elbow part of her back foot. I didn't think to take a shot of it but I am concerned. Here is what I have done so please give me any suggestions, if it is not cleared up in the next couple days we will be off to the vet again.

1. I tried the normal clean and cover for 2 days, seemed much better last night, but she got my wrapping off and licked it all open and was bleeding again by the time I got home today.

2. Today..I cleaned wound put cream on it with gauze, used the stretchy cloth stuff for wounds and then wrapped it with the first aid tape. I can't see her getting through this one! I do know I will need to re-do it daily but any other advice?

A friend said to use styptic powder but I thought that would be bad on a wound?

The wound is about dime size, bleeding but not gushing, doesn't look infected.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
273 Posts
styptic powder is what the vets use after they eartip the cats that i have tnr'd, but i have never used it myself.

have you tried using that tape that has a bitter taste to it? i don't remember the name of it but every time my vets have used it i have been problem free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you tried using that tape that has a bitter taste to it? i don't remember the name of it but every time my vets have used it i have been problem free.
I have not used that tape, Ashley has never been sent home with any tape so I will call my vet tomorrow and ask. Too bad it can't make her fur taste bad...I swear the licking is so bad but they can't stop it. We even tried meds but they make her so loopy I feel even worse for her and this goes in bouts so not fair to drug her imo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: More as a reminder than anything else! So...we decided we needed to take Ashley to the vet, the wound was not getting better or worse...or so we thought. Made an appointment and before the 4 days came and went we had to make an emergency run to the vet. Apparently one of the additional troubles with long hair kitties is their fur can hide too much! Somehow there was a puncture wound not certain but could be from a dog. We have never had any issues nor have any aggression so it could have been from play mistakenly making injury. Well like I mentioned her wound was small and we were certain it was directly related to her skin issues. WRONG Puncture wound hidden within her fur=infection=guilty horrible feeling momma:fust

Just shows me when in doubt go to the vet, wait for an opening it will be worth the wait!

She is on the mend but the look she gives me when I put on the ecollar kills me! I am just glad we did not wait even 1 more day, ugh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts