Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last time I was on here I was living and working in an apartment complex. Over the summer we lost our jobs and as such our apartment and had to move in with my parents for a few months with Igor and Camo. We've now moved again into a two level townhouse with a basement. We've got our dogs back from the folks who were caring for them while we were in transition and now the question is the cats. I want my kitties back.

Problem, Camo has never been a good traveler and is just now getting settled at my parents house again(she lived there before for a while as well so it was always someplace she was safe and she gets along with their two males) Igor is a year this week and is the terror of my parents home, if nothing else we want him back but do not want to deny him kitty companionship as well...he likes having kitties to play with! We've discussed with my parents and no matter what they will be keeping Camo because it's just where she belongs, but they'd like Igor to come with us.

Now the big debate: do we adopt from a shelter(another younger black cat because I love black animals) or do we take one of the 3 week old(grey) kittens from my friends accidental litter(I'm helping her get her male fixed ASAP and her female will be fixed when she's done weaning so no more accidents)

I'm really torn by this decision, on one hand I truly believe in rescuing and adopting from rescues and shelters, also most of those animals have shots and are fixed and I know black animals have a hard time finding good homes. On the other hand I've known these kittens since they were a week old, both parents have sweet as pie dispositions and their momma cat loves to let me pet and just hangout with her kittens, I was actually the one who sexed them because no one else was allowed into their crate. Downside, all the costs associated with a new kitten who needs all it's shots as well as a speutering down the line.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Cost is definitely not the biggest concern and Igor has yet to meet any animal he doesn't love and get along with(except Camo who for some reason hates him...he still loves her though)

for reference here's Igor

And pictures of Camo, D2 and Rascal who are also at my parents place because everyone loves kitty pictures!

Rascal - 7ish YO - no vet can figure out how he's so big and they're all fed measured amounts seperately

D2 - he's maybe 9ish?

Camo - 3 ish YO

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I think it generous of you to help (does that mean financially as well?) your friend to get her cats spayed and neutered. I'm sure your friend would be happy if you got one of her kittens. She would enjoy seeing it growing up. The one suggestion I would make if you are getting one of her kittens, is do not take it too young. Do leave it with it's littermates until 12 weeks to get a proper socialization with them and the father and mother. That is a crucial time when it learns to control its bite and claws. Igor really looks like a little mischief maker!

·
Premium Member
9,136 Posts
My opinion for what its worth is if a cat is happy in a home leave the cat there if you know it is getting good care.

After doing adoptions for several years and we foster in our homes so we know each cats personality so we try to match a cat with what a person is expecting from having a companion animal. I think you getting a younger kitten would be the best idea to become a friend of Igor. Theres no guarentee they will be good friends but there is lots you can do in the introductions to make it a sucess.

Cats hate moving and changing where they live. You bring a cat in to a home with other cats and they have to go thru a period of finding out where they are in the pecking order. Kittens are easier to make a sucessful transition. The older cats teach them the cat kingdom rules.

I wish you lived near me since you love black cats. Ive had two black cats for several years now that no one even expresses an interest in. They are a couple of goof balls who love all cats that have come thru my home. But they are black and they are long haired so people dont want them. Its a crying shame cuz they are such love bugs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
catloverami : yes, I do mean financially as well. There is a vet who is about 45 minutes from me in NY who does males for under $50 US and females for around $150. I'll be paying at least for one cat as well as driving across the boarder as neither of my friends have passports. I'm looking closer to home for the female as there's a bit more of a timeline with her..we want the male fixed ASAP so he can't knock mamma up again. I'm also going to bring over some high quality wet food for mamma cat and the kittens when they get a little older...due to some other issues the cats are getting fed Whiskas because the adults aren't allowed to spend more then a set amount on pet food every month(issues with CAS - stupid and unneeded but their teenage daughter called them) as Momma is looking pretty skinny.

Mitt's & Tess : That is the reason we are leaving Camo at my parents, she is well loved and fits in perfectly there. Igor really doesn't which is why we are wanting to take him and find a playmate for him, then he gets the aspect of another cat to play with without disrupting the three other, more sedate cats at my parents place.

Part of the reason I feel in love with black animals is because they are so overlooked, and in the case of black cats, sometimes horribly abused. Also *squee* black long haired kitties! I haven't owned a long haired cat ever although my parents had a maincoon when I was very very young, I remember her tail, lol.

Also I'm going over there to visit tomorrow and I'm going to try and remember my camera...anyone want kitten pics????

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
As wonderful as it would be to get a cat from a shelter I think it would be even more awesome to get one from your friend. That way, they're just a kitten and the introduction with your other cat should be pretty easy, plus there's the bonus of your friend getting to see it grow up and the fact that you already will know the kitten and its personality.

By the way, D2 has amazing colored eyes!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Mama and all 5 kittens. Looks like 4 girls 1 boy

Mama Smokey

Papa Baby

this little gal was very opinionated and wanted to explore

same little girl

kittens who didn't want their picture taken...

Mama and kittens again

Their big sister Chloe (black lab/boarder collie x)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts