Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've kept an eye out for kittens ever since the thing with my moms neighbors kitten fell through, and wow, they're everywhere. I never noticed before, it's kind of sad really. There are TONS on craigslist, at the shelter, petsmart...I don't see how they find homes...I guess alot don't.

I mentioned at work today that I was looking for a kitten and sure enough, a guy I work with has a cat that had kittens. They are 6 weeks old now, two black and two tabby. I told him I am going on vacation in a week and that I am possibly interested in one of the black ones if they are available when I get back. They will be 8 weeks then, so we'll see...not getting my hopes up again, but it's a possiblity.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
They are everywhere. It's so heartbreaking at so many of them are in need of loving homes. Unfortunately there are so many more kittens than people looking for kittens to adopt largely due to people not being responsible and having their cats de-sexed. :(

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I personally would go to a shelter and not support someone who didn't bother getting their cat fixed (unless they are a registered breeder of course). To each their own I guess.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I agree with Becky. If they are able to re-home the kittens easily, they will probably be more likely to not fix their cat and just keep letting her have kittens that they think they will be able to keep finding homes for..

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree with Becky. If they are able to re-home the kittens easily, they will probably be more likely to not fix their cat and just keep letting her have kittens that they think they will be able to keep finding homes for..
I thought about that. On the other hand, if no one takes them they could end up at a shelter anyway or he could keep them and they could run around unfixed and continue to breed. It's a crappy situation all around.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I've kept an eye out for kittens ever since the thing with my moms neighbors kitten fell through, and wow, they're everywhere. I never noticed before, it's kind of sad really. There are TONS on craigslist, at the shelter, petsmart...I don't see how they find homes...I guess alot don't.
You're right. A lot don't. Then they grow up and aren't "cute" anymore, and adult cats are even harder to adopt out. So the kittens who aren't adopted get to sit in shelters... and depending on your view of "lucky", they either get euthanized or sit in a cage day after day, after day, after da.... etc.

While I'm glad I work at a "shelter" that the cats are free roaming in big rooms with toys, cat towers, and have each other to play with... it would still be better if they could have a home with human interaction on a regular basis.
Our shelter is VERY low on funds, and we do not have a full time staff (actually, we have no staff... it's all volunteers). The only time humans are there, are for the cleaning, which usually takes 2-4 hours. So 20 hours a day, the cats have to entertain themselves.

·
Banned
603 Posts
I went to the shelter to visit a couple of weeks ago and they said aside from the kittens you saw there they had over 200 in foster care. Thank goodness they are a no kill shelter.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So many people think of the spike in kittens in May and June as "normal" this time of year. Me, I would rather spay and neuter and I am beginning to feel vets should do desexing operations at cost as a good will gesture; plus required by law that all dogs and cats be desexed. I know, very controverial.

·
Registered
415 Posts
It is sad. I really don't understand why so many people don't do it. It doesn't even cost all that much, all things considered. I know my vet is cheaper than some but he does a neuter for $40. Basic spay was listed as $70 when I took Ollie in to get neutered. I really think he tries to keep it affordable so people can and will do it.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
A lot of it is ignorance. I have a friend who has a male and female cat. They are both roughly around the 9 month mark. He got the male fixed when he was about 6 mos, but the female has gone into several heat cycles. He thought this was perfectly fine since they live in a 3rd floor apartment and she can't get outside.

I kept urging him to take her and he keeps complaining about her being noisy and not eating, etc. He just didn't think it was a priority. Then, I told him about the increased risks of cancer and cutting her life short by allowing her to go into heat so many times. He did his own research based on what I told him, and he finally has an appointment for the end of this month....thank goodness!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Four actually, one more tabby. Not sure if I'll be getting any, but the first one was the one I was interested in...or the third...can't tell them apart.

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
Well if I were you......LOL...dont you love that when people say that. I know I grimace when someone begins to say that to me. Tell the man that your interested in one of his black kittens. Youd love to rescue it and give it a good home. But your concerned that if you take this kitten you would enable him, if he wasnt responsible, and would keep letting the mother have babies.

Otherwise youd go to a shelter where you know they s/n and stop the cycle of unwanted cats and kittens. Explain to him nicely that 75% of cats that end up in kill shelters are euthanized. 4 million cats & dogs are euthanized yearly in the US.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
you could do what i did LOL. i was leaving in three days to go on vacation but a girl who lives across the street was in the pet store too and wanted a kitten, (these were shelter kittens from the dumb friends league placed in the store to "view" wink wink) so i asked her if she'd keep mine until i got home and she said sure. i wasn't going to leave a little brand-new kitten alone with my other two cats.

when i got back, she said, "oh they play together so cute, can you just give me houdini?" and i said, "no, i really wanted him, but chloë can come and visit." she said, "oh good," and then a couple of weeks later she gave her kitten away because she took a job in utah training as a flight attendant.

i rarely do things like that on impulse, but usually if i do, things work out well. i LOVE black blue-eyed kittens. i don't know if there are a lot of them but if you're wild about the kitten, give him some money for food to hold it for you. if you trust him, that is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts