Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I dunno... sometimes kids are really good escape artists. If she was asleep he could slip out the door easily. Anyone else have their children walk out the door? Me and my sister and brother's did.

I got outside and walked to my aunt's (family friend) house. I think my sister ran off to my grandmother's house when she was little. My brother walked out the door naked (he was still young... so forgive him), got on his trike and peddled down two blocks. I think my other brother broke out of the beach house we were staying at for vacation.

We all were found shortly thereafter of course (I think my sister and I were the longest) - then again we decided to leave during the day and not during night like this kid.

And I want to tell you! My mother and father all but smothered us! I think they were usually taking a bath and the other needed to step into the next room for a bit. A lot can happen in a few minutes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I dont think fingers should be pointed at the mother right away. I remeber being a little kid and steering my dads truck down back roads. I didnt get the idea to steal his truck and drive it to get a movie. I'm sure the mom wasnt like heres the keys take it out for a spin Billy. He snuck out of the house and took the car. Just short of tying your kid to their bed frame, you sleep during the night while your four year old child sleeps too. Not many mothers of tots go to bed wondering if their child is going to steal their car! Its like your cat got up and decided he was going to take the go kart for a spin. How would you even begin to fathom that?

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
It was past midnight, and everyone was (supposed to be, at least) asleep, so I don't think the mother should be held responsible. Do you really assume that your four year-old is going to know how to unlock the door, go down to the car, start it, and drive to the video store? I can only imagine what it'd be like to be awoken by the police who tell you your son did just that 8O

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Well, who the HECK teaches their four year old to drive anyway? The article says she sat him on her lap and tought him how to drive. Does she think that's so cute...now?

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
I don't think he was doing a lot of shifting and acceleration :? My dad used to sit me on his lap all the time, have control of the gas, brakes, and his hands along with mine on the steering wheel, and let me "drive" down our street (rural street, btw).

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Regardless, it's a BAD idea. Look what can happen. And, he did make it 1/4 mile to the gas station.

As for the kid getting out of the house, I do think that could happen to anyone, the woman does have to sleep.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
All I can say is WOW!

Our 3 year old girl was having some night walking.....so what we did was put a latch hook on the outside of the bedroom door. So at night....if she tries to leave her bedroom she cant. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm thinking that there's no way that kid pulled out quitely - if he took out 3 cars pulling in, he doubtless hit some pulling out. And just where do they keep their keys? In the video, the officer says one time before the child had tried to take the car and the mother had stopped him - so if you know your child's done it before - keep your keys tucked away! I still think mom could have prevented this - especially since the child had tried it before.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Yup.....I agree.

We also have all our furniture mounted to the walls.
Like entertainment systems and tall dressers...to prevent them from tippin gover if child crawls on it.

We always joke about building shelving all the way around the house that is 7 feet up in the air.

We use folding chairs and put them away when not in use...because the kids were using the chairs to reach no no items.
All the kitchen drawers have locks.
I am a child proofing nut!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts