Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please keep him in your thoughts. Short story--front right paw is paralyzed, twisted and turned under; leg is severly atrophied. We considered wrist fusion surgery, but b/c of above reasons, he's not a good candidate. The leg is in his way; he lifts it up to run but hobbles on the turned-over paw when walking.

Sigh....

So anyway, amputation on Wednesday. Taking him in Tuesday night; they are going to put a pain patch on him so it will kick in by the time he wakes up Wednesday afternoon. They will keep him till Friday.

I have a friend with a tripod kitty who does great, so I believe he'll be much better off without this leg in his way. But it's still been a very hard decision.

·
Registered
917 Posts
only if you start calling him tripod!!

i'm sure he'll do great. good luck to you and kitty-pie!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My Thunder-kitty had his left leg amputated. He still has a little bit left, even though I think that's a bad idea.. But he got used to it REALLY fast, and acted as if nothing had happened. It was a lot better than him dragging his paw around and getting it cut and infected.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'm sure it'll go fine! Cats adjust well to losing a limb, especially the front one. He is lucky that you didn't give up on him entirely!! He'll be in my thoughts and we'll be here for you during these next few days that will no doubt be nerve-wracking..

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
update: out of surgery and beginning to wake up

Of course, that's always my worst fear anyway--anasthesia! Well, that and the crazy fear that they would take the wrong leg off (even though it's obvious which one's bad!)

I just called the vet's office and he made it through ok and is beginning to wake up. I can't wait till Friday so I can go get him.

I must say that my 3 adult cats are really enjoying the peace and quiet, though...

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
kristi, I know you looked into every other possibility. I'm sure he'll get along very well. Let us know when sleepy head comes home. I hope he doesn't have too much pain. Bless his little heart. ::))

·
Registered
162 Posts
With Halloween just around the corner, would a wooden peg and eye patch be in order. :)

J/K Glad to hear he made it through ok. My old neighbors had a pack of tripod dogs (each missing a different leg) and they ALL could keep up with a car going 30mph.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
That's great! Can't wait till he gets home either. I know the vets know whats best for him, but I always feel a little easier when my sick kitty is in my own personal care, and I can check on him every 5 minutes!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts