Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Xander is about 5 months old now, so we should be able to neuter him in another month. You may have seen in other posts that his front paw is paralyzed; the leg is atrophied, and the paw turns under when he walks so that he limps on the wrist joint. He can move the arm and even lift it over his head, and clean his face with that paralyzed paw.

I talked to the vet today about options for his arm (if we wanted to do any surgery at the same time) and asked about wrist fusion. The vet said he would be glad to refer me to the university vet surgery if I wanted, but he said I should try the POPSICLE TEST first, crazy as that sounds!

He said the problem is the radial nerve, which means odds are he won't be able to extend the paw even if the wrist is fused. Basically, he would still drag the leg, but it would get in his way even worse b/c the wrist would no longer bend and he'd have to drag the whole thing under him instead of lifting it up (running) / limping on the wrist joint (walking) as he does now.

But he said to put a splint on him and observe him to see what he does with the leg. So it's popsicle time for me!

I'll let you know how it turns out. If it turns out as the vet expects (actually worse for Xander's mobility), we will probably opt to do nothing to the leg as it doesn't seem to cause him any pain. Since we have carpet, he doesn't drag the wrist on any hard surfaces except in the kitchen, and he doesn't seem to be developing any sores or even callouses there.

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
I will pray that the splints help! He's getting some balance from that let, I assume, so I hope he can keep it. As I told you privately, sometimes partial paralysis still leaves room for a nearly normal life.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, all! I got home and tried to splint his leg, but it is just too crooked, stiff, and turned under to take a splint. :cry: So I guess that's that. But he doesn't seem to mind.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean, Jeanie! I wish we had tried this back when we first found him, when he was really tiny. I don't think his wrist was as turned then, or as stiff. But the vets never really gave any hope of anything, so I didn't do anything. I mean, it probably wouldn't have helped even then, but now I have this feeling of regret.

That's one thing about vets and doctors nowadays that gets to me sometimes..."It's your decision." Well, of course it is. But I need an informed opinion. Since you've been to medical school, I'd really like a recommendation. That trend bothers me sometimes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts