Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need suggestions how to keep 10 month old kittens out and off of the xmas tree?? lol . I will be getting a fake tree this xmas and I know these punks are going to be all in this thing. what are best practices as far as setting one up and keeping it up and also keeping them out of the tree... Any help will be appreciated.. thanks

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just don't hang the ornaments too low. They will play with the tree especially when you just start working on it. They want to help :). I used to put real tree but I avoid it now because they always want to play underneath it and the needles, water & sap is not good for them. These past year the cats ignore the tree since I started to put fake Christmas tree all year long ( just change the decor depending on the season) but one cat tends to hide his stash of treats underneath it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Oh is it almost that dreaded time of year again lol. Wish I could help but my guys are horrible when it comes to our trees the lay high up in the branches and because they are heavy they break them. No matter how much I kick them out they keep going back. We need to buy a new one this year because they totally disfigured our other one :D

·
Registered
448 Posts
Glad you asked this question!! My kittens are 7 months old (born 02/21/13) now so will be right around the same age at Christmas-time. We get a real tree...so will be watching this thread for some tips too.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Dang! Are we already talking christmas?? No tree for me :( its just me and that would be an expensive "toy". But good luck to the rest of ya!! :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
My naughty little boy was good last year and didn't climb it once.....at least that I saw. But I did use unbreakable ornaments. And I did a real tree last year and will not be doing that again, going to use the artificial one this time. Other than using breakable ornaments, I don't know what you can do, kittens are usually little monsters. As they get older they seem to be happy just hanging underneath the tree, at least mine do :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Oh boy. When mine were younger, they knocked over the tree several times (trying to climb up it). I didn't put up a tree for several years. They're 10 now and could care less about it, but kittens will definitely be interested. Even if you only put ornaments on the top, I would be willing to bet they get to them. :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh no not another 4 weeks of yelling and rearranging the boxes underneath my Christmas tree!!!! lol Lucky's first year he was about 7 months old and he just wouldn't leave the tree alone, we had to guy wire it to the window frame in case he would climb and knock it over, had to replace all ornaments to shatterproof and he would still knock them off and have glitter everywhere!!!! I used the bitter yuck and cat repellant trying to keep him away from it and to no avail. Think he liked the taste, now when I put up the tree it gets on my hands and in the air and I can taste it (yuck). But finally last year he was less interested and would just make himself a nest under it and sleep, he looked so cute.

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I've had the same tree for 20 years. On the lowest branches I used to use twisty ties on the ornaments but for the past 10 years or so the cats don't mess with it so I don't bother now. They love to sleep under the tree, though! Use plastic unbreakable ornaments, ....AND NO TINSEL OR FAKE SNOW!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
We put our tree in the corner and tied it to a couple of screws in the wall, one on each side. We use unbreakable ornaments too. She wasn't too bad with it but she did climb up the inside of the tree a few times :D we did put tinsel on it but quickly removed it from the bottom levels after we realized what we'd done!
ImageUploadedByPG Free1381352270.700042.jpg
Yeah mum, I'm just looking with my eyes not my paws.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,537 Posts
I hate to brag, but Winston, Nyska and Cabbit are pretty good with the tree. They don't try to climb it and I learned to place the ornaments higher up. However, a painful lesson to learn was to never, ever put glass, feathered bird ornaments. They thought they were kitty toys!

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
BTW, just to rant, don't take it personally as MANY people do this without thinking, even my mother did it for years until I pointed it out. One of my pet peeves is when people take Christ out of Christmas by using an X. :sad2

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really?

BTW, just to rant, don't take it personally as MANY people do this without thinking, even my mother did it for years until I pointed it out. One of my pet peeves is when people take Christ out of Christmas by using an X. :sad2
really? don't hijack the thread..lol my pet peeve is when people throw cigarette butts out the car window

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Well, smoking in general is a bit of a nasty habit. ew.

As for the "x" taking Christ out of Christmas, actually the X is a monogram for Christ. The most familiar is the IXOY∑ (Ichthys fish). Another common one is "Chi Rho" (The letter 'P' with a long tail and the letter 'X' crossing through it) Constantine was the first use this monogram. There are many others.
Unfortunately most aren't aware they are still referring to Christ, but even still, it makes me smile knowing Christ is always there no matter how hard they try to do away with Him.

As for the topic of this thread, I've always just given the tree, dangling ornaments, flashing lights, tinsel, fake snow, etc all a bit of a pass while kitties are young (1-3 years)
Things like holiday candles, wreaths, ceiling decorations, BIG heavy snow globes, perhaps a Nativity set (can be stylised so its all carved in one block of wood to eliminate small pieces. There are many variations of the theme), etc.
I just keep stuff out of their reach or nothing they could destroy or hurt themselves with. :) That just how I do it and it's not a popular option if you have small children LOL!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
christmas tree

Last year two of my cats were 7 months old in December, I didn't even bother putting my fake-tree up because the needles fall off and go every where and at the time they would eat anything on the floor that fit into their mouths. So I didn't bother.
I'm going to try this year-looking for a fake tree that doesn't lose it's needles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think this will be the first year I have a real reason to NOT put up a tree! We've never been big Christmas decorators, we don't have kids and we're usually gone on Christmas day to family's houses. Our two kittens will be about 8 months old by then, and they're already into everything, so I know it will be a nightmare!

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I don't put up a tree. Nala cannot leave them alone and I am, apparently, not a good enough cat-daddy to keep her from it.

But in my mind, it doesn't matter. I go to my folks' ranch for a week at Christmas so I'm not actually around. (My mom and step-dad's log cabin is decorated to the point of being a life sized representation of being a Thomas Kincaid painting.)

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
Jasper's monster cat tree is where we've always put the Christmas tree for as long as I can remember. Even if we moved the cat tree (way too much work) Jasper would probably try to climb the Christmas tree since it's taking the place of his tree.

I think we'll have to cart the tree upstairs this year into the dinning room, where no cats are usually allowed. Problem solved... but a lot of work! It'll be weird having Christmas morning in the dinning room instead of the family room downstairs.

A friend's cat climbs in the tree and makes off with all the ornaments -- they no longer put most of them in the tree thanks to her. Blacky meanwhile only gives the tree a passing glance so we've never cared about it until now. It depends on your cat(s).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts